This is the time of year our snowbirds love here in the Phoenix metropolitan area. As much of the rest of the country has either frozen or been digging out from mudslides, everyone here has been basking in sunshine and temperatures in the 75°F (24°C) range. Someone on my Facebook page told me that that was almost pool weather, but the water in my unheated pool is currently 54°F/12°C, and that's just too cold for all my damaged joints. If I got in there now, Denis would find a Cathy-shaped iceberg in a matter of minutes!
Come to find out that those white patches are natural, and when you see them it means that the cactus is "corking." A Santa Rita cactus can grow to be huge, and corking is one of the ways the plant has of fortifying itself both to deal with its size and to prepare for a growth spurt. Hhmmm...the next time someone mentions my snowy white hair, I think I'll tell them I'm corking. And on that note, it's out to the corral. Head 'em up! Mooooove 'em out!
►Books, Movies & Other Interesting Tidbits◄
- How Sue Grafton helped transform the mystery genre.
- This publisher rejection letter from 1928 is one of the most crushing things you'll read today.
- Bestsellers that almost didn't make it to the bookstores.
- Sara Paretsky on the feminist awakening that led to V.I. Warshawski.
- The remarkable influence of A Wrinkle in Time.
- The New Yorker's words of the year.
- Searching for the self-loathing woman writer. Did these women hate themselves, or did they write about a world that hated them?
- Here's why everyone should have an antilibrary.
►Channeling My Inner Indiana Jones◄
- A ground-breaking scientific technique is tracing the life of one of the bog bodies of Northern Europe.
- A 1,000-year-old stone structure in Mexico may depict the creation of Earth.
- A stunning discovery could rewrite the early history of Native Americans.
- The top ten most important ancient documents lost to history.
- 30,000 shards of historic stained glass have been found in Westminster Abbey's attic.
►Channeling My Inner Elly Mae Clampett◄
- Adorable lemurs roam free on this ancient island.
- How peacock spiders (I love 'em!) make rainbows on their backsides.
- Watch rare footage of the elusive Javan Warty Pig in the wild.
- Wisdom, the oldest known albatross, is expecting. (Again.)
- Amazon bird is revealed to be an extremely rare hybrid species.
- What would you do if you looked out to see this critter sleeping on your porch?
- More than thirty hilarious dog snapchats that are impossible not to laugh at.
- After eight years, a family finally realizes why a squirrel has been tapping on their window every day.
►I ♥ Lists & Quizzes◄
That's all for this week! Don't forget to stop by next Friday when I'll be sharing a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure.
Have a great weekend, and read something fabulous!