From the way the birds are cleaning me out of apples every day, I would say that there are a lot of hungry little beaks in the nests around here. The sweet acacia is almost finished blooming, and the small white blossoms of the Tombstone rose growing along the fence are soon going to disguise the glossy dark green leaves. The Mexican petunias have been blooming for a month, and the pink trumpet vine is beginning to go ballistic. Outside of pool season, this is my favorite time of the year, and before I rhapsodize any further about it, I'd best remember all the snow so much of the rest of the country has had to deal with, shut my mouth, and go round up those links!
Bookish News & Other Interesting Tidbits
- Fans turn out for Elmore Leonard's estate sale.
- Anne Rice is fighting author bullying on Amazon.
- How to use Getty's vast collection of newly free pictures on your website.
- File this under Hero: Arunachalam Muruganantham, the man who made the period safe for the women of India.
- Need to buy a gift for a reader? Does this reader love Sue Grafton?
- The NOP World Culture Score has some interesting things to say about global media habits.
- From bestseller to bust: is this the end of an author's life?
- Did you know that dogs have emotion detectors in their brains?
- Which books will never be on your shelves?
Archaeology, History, Book Candy & the Strange
- The gigantic rocks of Stonehenge may have been chosen for their acoustic properties.
- A $10 million gold coin hoard found in someone's yard may have been stolen from the Mint. (I wish I'd find something like this in my yard instead of weeds.)
- The discovery of a shilling could rewrite Canadian history.
- I want a writer's shed!
- The oldest known Holocaust survivor dies at the age of 110.
- 12 beautiful redesigned covers of literary classics.
- A couple sells a $12 junk store find to a museum for $100,000.
I ♥ Lists
- 37 writers share the books that saved their lives.
- Literary pet peeves: the best of the worst author blunders.
- The most popular book in each of the 50 states.
- 19 things women writers are sick of hearing.
- 19 quotes that will make you fall in love with books all over again.
- The 10 best fictional evil children.
- The top 10 locked-room mysteries.
- 20 ways to make your home more bookish.
That's it for this week. Don't forget to stop by next weekend when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure!