I'm not going to say much because I might be contagious. I met some sort of bug who refused to leave me alone. Over two days of fever, chills, lack of appetite, and sick headache put me behind on all sorts of things. However, I am on the mend and looking forward to feeling like myself again. Enjoy the links!
►Books & Other Interesting Tidbits◄
- Why the letters Q, W, and X were once illegal in Turkey.
- Here's a quiz that says they know what kind of "smart" we are by the way we create a reading nook. They told me I was "Naturalist Smart"--I am someone who is one with the outdoors, nature, and animals. I can live with that!
- A Guide to 100 Years of Crime Fiction.
- Anthony Horowitz talks about Reading and Writing in 007's Shoes.
- How much editing was done to Emily Dickinson's poems after she died?
- What did the fiction best-seller list look like 25, 50, 75 years ago?
- A brief history of heroic bibliophiles.
- Before envelopes, people protected messages with letterlocking.
- This Appalachian nonprofit puts books in the hands of inmates who need them.
►Channeling My Inner Indiana Jones◄
- A recently unearthed Roman latrine was full of dirty jokes.
- A construction crew accident has led to a discovery in ancient Alexandria.
- 10,000 years of British history will be unearthed in excavations in advance of a planned rail line.
- The world's oldest-known figurative paintings have been discovered in a cave in Borneo.
- A week that offered a slew of insights on the Western Hemisphere's first humans.
- A tomb full of sacred cats and beetles has been found in Egypt.
- It's true: Ancient Gauls embalmed the severed heads of their enemies.
- This excavation hints at the opulent lifestyle enjoyed by the inhabitants of an ancient Greek city.
►Channeling My Inner Elly Mae Clampett◄
- This remote control vest trains rescue dogs using flashlights.
- How a flightless bird ended up on an island 1,550 miles away from any mainland.
- Why experts are troubled by a viral video of a baby bear's mountain climb.
- Australian rivers are contaminated with pharmaceuticals, and that's bad news for platypuses.
- A major disease outbreak strikes California sea lions.
- Babies share the same laugh patterns as chimpanzees.
- This rare warbler is three species in one.
- A massive shark nursery has been found off the west coast of Ireland.
►The Happy Wanderer◄
- The crime fiction of Tel Aviv.
- The Rock Springs Cafe here in Arizona just celebrated 100 years in the business of making mouth-watering pies.
- The cheerful sinners of the Pacific Northwest's wildest port city. (I love Port Townsend!)
- Edinburgh, Scotland stakes its claim as a mystery mecca.
►I ♥ Lists◄
- The ten cookbooks every home cook needs, according to a bookstore owner.
- Nine novels that tell the story of heroin and opioid abuse in America.
- Top ten modern Victorian novels.
- Seven books for fans of Psycho.
- Ten iconic World War I novels for the Armistice centenary.
- Expert tips for keeping busy kids connected to books.
- Fourteen illustrations that'll make all book lovers laugh.
- The ten weirdest crime novels you probably haven't read.
That's all for this week! Don't forget to stop by next Friday when I'll be sharing a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure.
Have a great weekend, and read something fabulous!