My favorite tree here on the property is one that I grew from a seed and then planted on the far side of the shed. It is a sweet acacia tree, and I first learned about it the day that my grandmother and I spent at the Desert Botanical Garden one spring during my grandparents' visit from Illinois.
The sweet acacia was in bloom at the Garden that day, the small yellow blossoms looking like balls of fluff, and there was the most intoxicating fragrance in the air. (I later learned that oils from the tree are often used in perfumes.) My grandmother and I fell in love with the tree and immediately thought of trying to find one for the property I'd just purchased, but we were wary of purchasing something I would be allergic to. The acid test was when I walked up to one of the trees, stuck my head in and inhaled deeply. I didn't sneeze. My nose didn't itch. Neither did my skin. I didn't cough. My eyes didn't water. My test was a success!
My grandmother and I continued to wander through the Garden, often being followed by hummingbirds. Our visit was complete when we found a packet of sweet acacia seeds for sale in the gift shop.
I'm always reminded of the day my grandmother and I spent at the Desert Botanical Garden when the Sonoran Desert begins to dream of spring and the scent of sweet acacia is in the air. Like it is now.
►Books, Movies & Other Interesting Tidbits◄
- A new type of food pantry is sprouting in yards across America.
- Touch your pinky to your thumb. Here's what it means if your tendon raises up. (Me? I'm evolved.)
- Obama's secret to surviving the White House years: books.
- There are now five million Amazon Kindle eBooks.
- In some fantastic news, Steve Hockensmith is writing a new Holmes on the Range mystery, and he needs our help in naming some of the characters.
- Why Linwood Barclay cancelled his U.S. book events after Donald Trump's order.
- Back to good news, Michael Connelly is ready to publish the next Bosch book, and he'll be beginning a new series in 2017.
- Freshen up with Jane Austen and Sigmund Freud-themed toothpastes.
- How about these book lovers shoes?
►Channeling My Inner Indiana Jones◄
- Israel says that excavations in Nazi death camps have unearthed a link to Anne Frank.
- Britain's first "selfie"-- a 4,000-year-old stone carving.
- On an episode of Antiques Roadshow, a man was shocked by the actual value of his $4.99 Goodwill purchase.
- An ancient grave has been discovered which was brimming with jewels.
►Channeling My Inner Elly Mae Clampett◄
- Scientists learn why women go through menopause by studying killer whales.
- A tiny hummingbird egg has stalled a project to upgrade a Bay Area bridge.
- Underwater images are giving us our first glimpse of a newly discovered Brazilian reef.
►The Happy Wanderer◄
►I ♥ Lists & Quizzes◄
- Six strange newspaper stories that shocked Victorian Britain.
- The graphic beauty of vintage bookplates.
- Can you identify a writer by reading a random paragraph?
- Writers on their favorite funny book.
- Top ten slangy crime novels.
- Delightfully macabre vintage Edgar Allan Poe book covers.
That's all for now! Don't forget to stop by next Friday when I'll be sharing a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure.
Have a great weekend, and read something fabulous!