I wouldn't be surprised if a few of you have been wondering how well I've adapted to having four different pairs of glasses, so I thought an update might be in order. Here are my glasses:
There's not much to say about my 24/7 dark and light pairs except that I love my everyday glasses. (The ones sitting upside down on my desk.) They are so light that it doesn't even feel as though I'm wearing them. When I think back to being a child and having lenses made of heavy glass-- and how my spectacles would never stay up on my nose-- who'd ever want to go back to the Good Old Days???
The biggest adjustments I've had to make concern my reading and computer glasses. You can see that I chose frames with a little color to them. I have a friend who can't stand any shade of blue, so I know she must "love" them to pieces. My computer glasses are on the little wooden guy. They stay in here. I have a desktop computer, and that's it, so there's no need for them to travel around. On the other hand, my reading glasses... never seem to be at the end of the house where I am when I'm ready to pick up a book. Ah well. More exercise, and it is lovely being able to read without any strain.
And since I can see where I'm going, time to head on out to the corral for those links I've been saving for you all. Head 'em up! Mooooooooove 'em out!
►Books, Movies & Other Interesting Tidbits◄
- Whew! It turns out that people who talk to themselves aren't crazy, they're geniuses!
- You can now use your eReader during the Apocalypse. (Something tells me I might be a tad distracted for that....)
- Students in Canada are finding themselves in hot water for pirating eBooks.
- Do you want to go on a blind date with a book?
- The science of sarcasm.
- Why do books publish on Tuesdays?
- Some folks prefer Superman; I prefer Batman. I think it has something to do with the Batmobile. But... how much does it cost to be Batman in real life?
- From manuscript to bookshelf: how a book gets published.
- Decades after her death, mystery still surrounds crime novelist Josephine Tey.
- The UK is releasing postage stamps embedded with hidden clues to honor Agatha Christie.
- Silent reading parties are taking over Phoenix.
►Channeling My Inner Indiana Jones◄
- Bronze Age axe heads found in Wales have been declared treasure.
- While searching a stolen vehicle, Turkish police found a second-century sarcophagus.
- Scottish prisoners of war from a 17th-century battle are going to be reburied in a cemetery in Durham, England.
- Bones from a shipwreck may shed light on the ancient Greeks' travel habits.
- An Anglo-Saxon "palace" has been found in England near the Sutton Hoo site.
- A study has affirmed that indigenous Australians are the oldest living civilization on Earth.
- A "heinous crime" may be lifting the $1.8 million Honus Wagner card now up for auction.
►Channeling My Inner Elly Mae Clampett◄
- A swarm of bees followed a car for two days in an attempt to rescue their queen.
- Viking sailors took their cats with them.
- A family clears out their house and finds a pet tortoise that had been missing since 1982.
- Mexican police have been raiding sawmills to protect Monarch butterfly habitat.
►The Happy Wanderer◄
- I think I'll wander the aisles in the Tin Can Mailman bookstore in Arcata, California. Interesting name, interesting building, and books!
- Jeanette Winterson on Paris's great bookstore, Shakespeare and Company.
- Discovering little-known secrets of the Lincoln Memorial.
- The American foods Mark Twain craved while traveling abroad.
- Where does Canada's accent come from?
- Out of Africa... for real!
►I ♥ Lists◄
- Ten insane ways ordinary people have stumbled upon major discoveries.
- Twenty-eight underused words you really need to start using.
- Ten of the best lines from Pride and Prejudice and what they can teach us.
- Seven hidden art secrets that were uncovered with technology.
- Fifteen historical women they should have taught you about in school.
- Ten people (besides the author) who bring a book into the world.
- Ten restaurants that shaped America.
- The 100 greatest TV shows of all time.
That's all for this week! Don't forget to stop by next Friday when I'll be sharing a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure!
Have a great weekend, and read something fabulous!