What should have been another pleasant week here at Casa Kittling, filled with good books, good food, good friends, and more critter encounters, was thrown on its head when I read the morning news that told me of a toxic spill into the Animas River of Colorado. The plume of arsenic, lead, copper, aluminum, and cadmium is steadily making its way to Lake Powell and the Grand Canyon.
I took this photo after wading in the Colorado River at the bottom of the Grand Canyon one spring. No matter how the talking heads try to downplay what's happened, this makes me sick. My brain doesn't really want to take in all the thoughts of what those poisons are doing every single inch of their journey to the land, the wildlife, and the people they encounter.
Experts may tell us that those poisons are being dissipated-- weakened-- as they travel, but would you want to go swimming in it? And what about the Navajo, so many of whom have to load containers and drive for miles to get water? What about their livestock? Ack! I think I'll go back to talking to myself and round up some links for you instead. I found some good'uns!
Head 'em up, move 'em out!
►Books, Movies & Other Interesting Tidbits◄
- Can you rob a Little Free Library?
- Max von Sydow has been cast in season 6 of Game of Thrones.
- Russia has ordered its libraries to ditch "Nazi" books by British historians.
- Thanks, Kathleen, for this link to an article that talks about why mystery novels involving quilts and cats are big business.
- Airport book sales are beginning to climb.
- A bookstore here in the US is offering refunds for Go Set a Watchman.
- Japanese readers spend the most money on electronic books.
- An unreleased F. Scott Fitzgerald short story has been published.
- How to keep Windows 10 from spying on you.
- The dark side of nursery rhymes.
- Textual healing.
- Saying goodbye to a secret bookstore.
- This little calculator that tells you how long it will take to read your to-be-read pile made me smile. I filled in the blanks, and it told me it would take two years and nine months to finish reading mine. Hah! Like the number of books on my five 5-shelf bookcases is static?!? (Oh no! I don't have three years' worth of books to read? I feel a trip to The Poisoned Pen is a must!)
- An excellent interview with crime fiction great Sara Paretsky.
- Young readers talk about why they read.
►Channeling My Inner Indiana Jones◄
- Why ancient armor had awesome abs.
- The entrance to a famous Biblical metropolis has been uncovered.
- An ancient reptile with a ridiculously long neck has been unearthed in Alaska.
- A new Gardner Museum video may show the thieves 24 hours before the art heist.
- A National Geographic article on Marden Henge, which was ten times larger than Stonehenge.
- Those Brits with their metal detectors! Now a Roman coin hoard has been found at Leominster.
- The English county with its own Magna Carta.
- There just might be a happy ending to the restoration saga of Pompeii.
- One of my favorite real life mysteries: they may be closing in on what happened to the lost colony of Roanoke.
►Channeling My Inner Elly Mae Clampett◄
►The Happy Wanderer◄
- 15 reasons why Scotland must be on your bucket list. (It's no longer on my bucket list, but I just keep going back!)
- Some wonderful Norwegian architecture.
- If I had some of these journeys to school, I'd be thinking of homeschooling!
►I ♥ Lists◄
- 13 facts about L. Frank Baum's Wonderful Wizard of Oz.
- 37 reasons why you want to experience Harry Potter for the first time again.
- 60 bookish films streaming on Netflix.
- Thanks, Ken, for the 2015 Man Booker longlist breakdown.
- 20 perfect photographs.
- 27 seriously underrated books every book lover should read.
- 5 common reading mistakes you're making that could ruin your literary life. (I don't have to worry about #1, 3, 4, and 5. Everyone who knows me knows to be careful with #2. The one I believe in most strongly? #5.)
- All 42 Meryl Streep movie performances ranked from worst to best.
That's all for now. Don't forget to stop by next Friday when I'll be sharing a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure!
Have a great weekend, and read something fabulous!