Did Denis and I turn on the central air conditioning for the two days that it reached 120° (49°C)? No. It wasn't until the humidity started going up, which is always THE sign of monsoon season. Now the house is all closed up-- ugh-- but I'm still enjoying literary afternoons in the pool. I was out in the pool both days when it reached 120°, and I had a buddy with me under the shade of my umbrella: a little hummingbird that was stressed by the heat. It would drink from the pool and then come to perch on the tile edge of the pool-- more than once just an inch or two behind my right shoulder. (Personally I think it was trying to figure out a way to get the top off my huge insulated cup to get at the ice!)
|Timothy Hallinan & Patrick Millikin at the Poisoned Pen|
The damselfly may have been a Läckberg fan, but I am also a Hallinan fan, so when Tim came to The Poisoned Pen this past Wednesday, Denis and I were there for a very enjoyable evening. More of that in a few days! Right now, I have to find those links!
Bookish News & Other Interesting Stuff
- I don't know if you're watching "Under the Dome," but I certainly am. Stephen King responds to the changes that were made in the TV series.
- Why do we yawn, and why is it contagious? It may be for a different reason that you were taught....
- Why people become Facebook fans.
- Having a bigger desk can make you more dishonest. Okaaaaaaaaaay....
- Think nicotine is a relatively recent bad habit? Think again!
- At the recent American Library Association conference, Jaron Lanier told librarians why information shouldn't be free.
- Two-thirds of shoppers admit to using bookshops as showrooms. (I started to take the moral high ground in this until I remembered doing this at the Waterstone's in Cambridge. Oops!)
- The Chicago Sun-Times drops regular book coverage. Some will see this as further indication that books are doomed. I don't. I think people are finding other ways to learn about the books they want to read... like book blogs perhaps?
- We here in Arizona are still reeling from the deaths of 19 of our very best firefighters. Here are the top ten facts you need to know about the Granite Mountain Hotshots.
- Have you heard about LibraryReads?
- A very good article about my favorite bookstore, The Poisoned Pen.
- Very interesting infographic about readers around the world. The U.S. comes in at #23.
I ♥ Lists
- The best short story writers of all time.
- The ultimate literary calendar.
- How 8 famous writers chose their pen names.
- The wedding photos of 16 famous authors.
- 50 great books that will change your life.
- A look at some reading nooks.
Time for me to take my tall cold drink and some books out to the pool. I wonder which reading buddy will be joining me today? Don't forget to stop by next weekend when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure!