Nothin' much going on here at Casa Kittling. I've been knitting and reading and acting silly with Denis and rearranging things in the house and posting videos from the camera aimed at one of our solar fountains on Facebook. (Those birds certainly are characters!) I've also been haunting The Poisoned Pen Bookstore's Facebook page and website in order to watch their book chats and virtual events with authors.
What do you think of this mask? I've also got my eye on one that shows shelves of books. I can't help but think that a small wardrobe of masks is necessary. Until they discover a cure, COVID-19 is going to hang around. I hope all of you are staying safe and healthy. No matter how much we may be jonesing to be out and about, can you imagine how much worse it is for people who don't read?
On that note, it's time to mosey out to the corral. Head 'em up! Moooove 'em out!
►Books & Other Interesting Tidbits◄
- Tiger King and a bloody mary: Hilary Mantel, Simon Armitage and other writers on lockdown life.
- Recently discovered drawings for the Statue of Liberty hint at a last-minute change.
- The strange, sordid world of Elizabethan-era true crime.
- Hilary Davidson and Susan Elia MacNeal on writing PTSD in fiction.
- How to organize your home office.
- With many countries under shelter-in-place orders, the world shakes a little less.
- This livestream of a bird library is perfect quarantine viewing for you and a cat.
- Vidocq and the birth of the fictional detective.
- Book sales surge as self-isolating readers stock up on "bucket list" novels.
►Channeling My Inner Indiana Jones◄
- Archaeologists discover paintings of a goddess in a 3,000-year-old mummy's coffin.
- A newly discovered portrait of Mary Pearson depicts a woman who may have inspired a Jane Austen character.
- The most valuable pennies of all time.
- A 17th-century shopping list was found under the floors at a historic English house.
- A new tool for biomedical research was invented in ancient Egypt.
- Archaeologists are revealing the hidden horrors of the only Nazi SS camp on British soil.
- How epidemics of the past changed the way Americans lived.
►Channeling My Inner Elly Mae Clampett◄
- Researchers calculated a whale shark's age based on Cold War-era bomb tests.
- With boats stuck in the harbor because of COVID-19, will fish bounce back?
- The plague has been quietly killing Yellowstone cougars for a decade.
- Take a look at the Smithsonian's National Zoo's Cheetah Cub Cam.
- This video shows Yosemite National Park full of animals in the absence of humans. (Enjoy it while it lasts, critters.)
- What the beaver can teach us about innovative conservation.
- Heavily trafficked songbirds are victims of the Venezuelan collapse.
- A leopard risks her life to steal food.
- Dorothea Dix, the compassionate crusader who revolutionized care for the mentally ill.
- Agatha Christie is the best-selling novelist in history.
- Matilda McCrear, the last survivor of the transatlantic slave trade.
- Boy Scout Quinn Callander 3-D prints over 1,200 "ear guards" to help healthcare workers suffering from face mask pain, bless 'im.
►The Happy Wanderer◄
- Columbus, Ohio: from cowtown to crimetown.
- Outside Medicine Bow, Wyoming, there's a century-old cabin made of dinosaur bones.
- Ravenscar, England has the peak alum works. At the factory's height of production, human urine was a valued commodity.
- A look back at Franklin, America's lost state.
- The remains of a 90-million-year-old rainforest have been found near the South Pole.
►I ♥ Lists & Quizzes◄
- Five great crime novels bringing multicultural heroes and representation to mystery.
- Fifteen immersive books to read while social distancing.
- Five books about family secrets.
- Sorry, Millennials, but there's no way you will be able to pass this quiz. (Me, being an old geezer, got them all right.)
- Top ten Irish gothic novels.
- Eight laugh-out-loud reads to keep your spirits high.
- Five gripping adventure tales set deep in the jungle.
- Life got you down? Pick up these eight comfort reads.
That's all for this week! Don't forget to stop by next Friday when I'll be sharing a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure.
Stay safe! Stay healthy! Curl up with good books!