|My first birthday|
Three months after this picture was taken, my father (aged nineteen) would be dead, having fallen asleep at the wheel of his car coming home for his father's funeral. Believe it or not, that time affected what type of person I would become even though I was so very young. I don't talk about this much, but when I do, people usually tell me what a tragic life I've had. I disagree. It is what it is and much less than so many others have had to deal with. I've seen and experienced so many wonderful things in my life, and I intend to keep on adding to the list... even though the fire department may have to be put on standby when my birthday cake is delivered.
Now on to the links!
►Books, Movies & Other Interesting Tidbits◄
- How proteins helped scientists read between the lines of a 1630 plague death registry.
- What America's first cookbook says about our country and its cuisine.
- A new website explores the women in architecture your history books didn't teach you about.
- How women broke into the male-dominated world of cartoons and illustrations.
- Harry Potter names and words we pronounced wrongly for years.
►Channeling My Inner Indiana Jones◄
- Indian jewels were stolen from a museum in Venice in a movie-worthy heist.
- Archaeologists have unearthed an ancient "picnic spot" in Israel which indicates early humans may have been smarter than we thought.
- A search for a lost hammer led to the largest cache of Roman treasure ever found in Britain.
- A woman appearing on Antiques Roadshow finds out that her $250 painting is actually worth $300,000.
- Researchers are trying to find out how to play this ancient Roman board game.
- York Minster's massive medieval stained-glass window has been restored to its former glory.
►Channeling My Inner Elly Mae Clampett◄
- A costume designer repairs the broken wing of a butterfly and makes it look like it was never injured.
- Meet Riley, the puppy training to sniff out bugs in Boston's Museum of Fine Arts.
►I ♥ Lists◄
- "Where do I think best?" Authors reveal their dream retreats.
- These eleven YA books should be on every adult's reading list.
- The Literary Hub's most anticipated crime, mystery, and thriller titles of 2018.
- Ten feminist lessons we learned from The Baby-Sitters Club.
- Twenty author photos, then and now.
- The top ten books about high-tech.
That's all for this week! Don't forget to stop by next Friday when I'll be sharing a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure.
Have a great weekend, and read something fabulous!