For those of you who celebrate it, I hope your Thanksgiving weekend was everything you hoped it would be. Denis and I spent a very quiet and very enjoyable day in each other's company. Early on, Denis brought in the Christmas decorations from the shed, and I told him which pile each box belonged in.
|And so it begins for another year...|
What I'd really like to know is how Denis and I became the neighborhood leaders when we basically keep ourselves to ourselves. ("Gee, I don't know what happened. They were nice people. Quiet. They basically kept to themselves."-- I just now realized that we sound like serial killers!) Within two days of our marathon shrub trimming and creating a trash heap out in the street in front of our house, suddenly everyone else at our end of the 'hood started working out in their yards and creating their own piles. And when our Christmas lights go up, so will everyone else's. The only thing I can figure is that, as long as everyone else's house/yard doesn't look as bad as ours, they let things slide. Then when we clean up, they feel obligated to do the same. (Good gravy, does this mean we're the Joneses?)
Before I start opening all these boxes, I'm going to mosey out to the link corral. Perhaps I'll get some momentum built up. Head 'em up! Mooooooooooove 'em out!
►Books, Movies & Other Interesting Tidbits◄
- Annotating the first page of the first Navajo-English dictionary.
- This woman pretended to be Emily Dickinson on an online dating site.
- Why wounds heal faster during the day than at night.
- Praise Agatha Christie, murder mystery pioneer and the original Gone Girl.
- You can never go back: on loving children's books as an adult.
- Do you know what these weird English words actually mean?
►Channeling My Inner Indiana Jones◄
- You'll never guess what this Roman mosaic was long used as before it was returned to Italy. Here's another article about the mosaic.
- Technology shows the 2,000-year-old mummy of a little girl in amazing detail.
- The ancient Egyptian tomb of a pregnant singer has been discovered at a temple near King Solomon's Mines.
- Storm Ophelia unearthed an ancient skeleton in Ireland.
- How researchers uncovered a massive void in the Great Pyramid of Giza.
- Watch an oil painting instantly lose 200 years of grimy varnish.
- Archaeologists have discovered a "masterpiece" sealstone in a Greek tomb.
►Channeling My Inner Elly Mae Clampett◄
- Faroe Islanders had a unique way of mapping their land for Google Street View.
- Scientists trained sheep to recognize the faces of Emma Watson and Barack Obama.
- Australian pigeons have a specially evolved feather with which to better annoy the heck out of you.
- Kato, an Arizona K-9, is being featured in a national calendar as six Maricopa County Sheriff's Office dogs get body armor.
- The hero rats of Africa sniff out landmines and TB infections.
►The Happy Wanderer◄
- Hike through Norway's future library, currently in the form of baby trees.
- Fifty years ago, two iconic films featured Monument Valley.
- Live like royalty: an historic Scottish castle is offering Airbnb apartments.
- Top ten must-visit bookshops in Hay-on-Wye, Wales.
- An epic eight-day Utah National Park road trip.
►I ♥ Lists◄
- Ten ancient facial reconstructions of fascinating women.
- Eleven beautiful vintage book covers.
- Ten novels agents have already seen a billion times.
- Top ten books about royal families.
- Thirteen secrets of rare book dealers.
- The fifteen best ways to organize your bookshelves, according to Reddit users.
That's all for this week! Don't forget to stop by next Friday when I'll be sharing a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure.
Have a great weekend, and read something fabulous!