There's something about going on vacation: you just get back and you start planning the next one. This time Denis and I find ourselves in a quandary. We had so much fun using our National Parks pass in California that we're having a difficult time choosing where to go next. Yellowstone? Zion? Bryce? Or should we make a left turn at Albuquerque and stay in the Santa Fe and Taos areas? Decisions, decisions!
In the mean time, here's a photo from our California trip. Denis and I were at Sand Harbor on Lake Tahoe, enjoying the peace and quiet and the incredible beauty when I saw something on the beach that my mind insisted on teasing itself with.
Two lines with footprints in between. The footprints are pointed toward land, not the water, so something was hauled up from the water.
Was it a body? ...or do I read too much crime fiction? Any way you look at it, it's time to head on out to the corral for those links I've been saving for y'all. Head 'em up! Mooooooooooove 'em out!
►Books, Movies & Other Interesting Tidbits◄
- A literary look at the last time the Chicago Cubs won the World Series. (One of my best memories of being a child was lying on my stomach on the grass, reading a book by my grandfather's lawn chair as he sat and listened to a Cubs game on his transistor radio. When they won last week, I cried.)
- HBO picks up the option on a Cormoran Strike limited series based on the J.K. Rowling novels.
- When a family leaves behind payment for a 37¢ drink, their waiter makes an unexpected find.
- Why most Amazon reader reviews are worthless.
- eBook sales decline 18.3% in May 2016.
- The UK is resisting the audiobook revolution.
►Channeling My Inner Indiana Jones◄
- Here's the first discovery of 50,000-year-old human settlements in the Australian interior. It's changing our understanding of how the continent was colonized.
- A tiny robot is uncovering the secrets of the USS Arizona in Pearl Harbor.
- Science may have solved the Amelia Earhart mystery.
- Ancient images of boats have been uncovered near an Egyptian pharaoh's tomb.
- Secrets of the Colosseum.
- An ancient sea cow fossil was found in a decades-old street slab in Spain.
►Channeling My Inner Elly Mae Clampett◄
- After a century, tribal members of the Wind River Reservation are welcoming the return of the buffalo.
- Animals show their silly side in the Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards.
- This chipmunk was caught stealing birdseed, and you have to watch his reaction.
►The Happy Wanderer◄
- See the people who live in a legendary underground town in South Australia.
- A grave in Bulgaria holds a skeleton with a stake through its heart.
- Here is the new Amazon bookstore in Portland, Oregon.
- A home outside of Paris, France makes ingenious use of bookshelves.
- Let's visit Her Bookshop in East Nashville, Tennessee.
- Fredrik Backman, the man behind A Man Called Ove (Sweden's latest hit novel).
- Louise Penny wrote a moving essay about grief and loss over her husband's death.
►I ♥ Lists & Quizzes◄
- Five reasons why scary books are better than scary movies.
- Sixteen books you should read this November.
- Get ready to carve out 89 hours for President Obama's essential reads.
- Eleven of the greatest fictional parties ever.
- Nineteen short books and stories to read now.
- Can you guess the famous book without its title or author?
That's all for this week! Don't forget to stop by next Friday when I'll be sharing a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure.
Have a great weekend, and read something fabulous!