Another relatively quiet week here at Casa Kittling. I think the most exciting thing that happened was having new sand put in the pool filter, and that was only exciting because my other half managed to track (what seemed like) half the old sand all through the house. What use is house cleaning, I ask you!
That same gang of juvenile white-winged doves that wanted to sit in the pool like I do are still hanging out with me in the afternoons. I got them their own "kiddie pool" that they'll sit in to cool off, but for some reason they like to take baths in one of my old stand-bys that has been around for years. They'll flap and dunk and flap some more, getting themselves all wet before they shake themselves off to go over to lay under the birds-of-paradise for a little afternoon snooze. Another thing they like to do before Bath 'n' Nap is fly over to me and land on the edge of my umbrella. They will then l-e-a-n over as far as they can go to look down at me. One of these days I'll figure out what they're trying to tell me!
Here come the links-- Head 'em up... Move 'em out!
►Books, Movies & Other Interesting Tidbits◄
- The British Library has made 5,400 titles available online.
- The suspicious story behind Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman. Will I be reading this book? No. I don't read other authors' first drafts, and I won't be reading Miss Lee's.
- This is your brain on Jane Austen, and Stanford researchers are taking notes!
- How much $100 is really worth in each state. Just click on the graphic to get a larger size that you can actually read. (Unless you're Eagle Eye. I'm not, but my husband does call me Bat Ears.)
- Currencies in literary worlds.
- Looking forward to this: Filming has begun on Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None" for the BBC.
- Looking forward to this, too: Idris Elba is the new cast member for the third Star Trek movie, and I love the way they announced it.
- Words with incredible meanings that are difficult to translate.
- What Australian slang has given the world.
- eBook sales are plummeting all over the world in 2015.
- How does your library encourage reading?
- The Girl in the Spider's Web: The ghostwriter, the secret plot and a "grave-robbing" Stieg Larsson sequel.
- How would you like to have a superhero guarding your favorite books?
►Channeling My Inner Indiana Jones◄
- The ghost who helped solve her own murder.
- A World War I medal that was found in an old dumpster has been reunited with the man's grandson.
- Archaeologists have unveiled 24 new geoglyphs on Peru's Nazca Plateau.
- An Iron Age discovery in southern Scotland forces a re-think on the history of the area.
- Some incredible photos of World War II American aircraft lying in the Airplane Graveyard of the Pacific.
- A large collection of gold coins-- probably buried during the Nazi era or shortly after World War II-- have been discovered in Germany.
- An ancient Viking-Age hut has been uncovered in downtown Reykjavik.
- A fifth-century mosaic adorned with elephants and cupids has been found in northern Israel.
- A beautiful sword from the last days of the Vikings.
- A shipwreck found off the coast of North Carolina could possibly be from the late 1700s.
- A 14,000-year-old tooth shows the oldest form of dentistry. (I think I'll stick with Dr. Olson, thank you.)
- I think I'll give crawling into the secret tunnel beneath St. Andrews Castle a miss. (I don't do underground. I must've been an unfortunate miner in a previous life.)
- An ancient Israeli synagogue has mosaics that may depict Alexander the Great and Samson.
- Waterfront construction in the Bronx has unearthed more than 100 ancient artifacts.
►The Happy Wanderer◄
►I ♥ Lists◄
- The best literary mugs.
- 8 Western novels for every occasion.
- 14 quotes about reading that make all the sense in the world.
- Most of you won't need these, but somebody might: 6 reasons to visit the library this summer.
That's all for now. Don't forget to stop by next Friday when I'll be sharing a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure!
Have a wonderful weekend, and read something fabulous!