One week later and my afghan has gained at least three feet in length, and Denis and I have celebrated another wedding anniversary. A relaxing week down in our favorite cottage in the Mule Mountains outside of Bisbee, Arizona, just north of the Mexican border was just what we needed. We got to see some beautiful sunsets, I went bananas shopping for yarn, and we drove over to Whitewater Draw to see all the sandhill cranes. We also had to make an extra trip to the grocery store because we had two deer coming right up to the cottage because they found apples to be irresistible. From the looks of the ground we may also have been visited by a javalina or two. I also saw a pair of titmice from the bathroom window. One of the reasons why I love this place is its wildlife.
|Sandhill cranes at Whitewater Draw|
The Sulphur Springs Valley is one of the premier birding spots in the world, and I can see why. Every time we go to Whitewater Draw, I see a species of bird that I've never seen before. You might want to open the photo above in a new window so you can see the detail better. Well over 20,000 sandhill cranes come to winter in the Sulphur Springs Valley each year. They like to go out to feed early in the morning and come back to their roosting sites for an afternoon nap. They then go out to feed again, and then you can watch them come in for the night as the sun sets behind the mountains. Once you've heard the calls of sandhill cranes, you will never forget the sound. There's a lot more to Cochise County, Arizona than Tombstone, gold/silver/copper mining, and Geronimo and Cochise!
Oops... I did manage to come home and rustle up some links for y'all, so I'd best get to it. Head 'em up! Move 'em out!
Books & Other Interesting Tidbits
- Get tired of seeing hoaxes passed around on Facebook? I found two articles about how Facebook is approaching this problem: article one, article two.
- I loved taking a look at the hand drawn spreadsheet showing the plot outline of Harry Potter.
- Diana Gabaldon and The Poisoned Pen Bookstore are launching a Writers' Program.
- Klein Dytham's Shonan T-Site is a bookstore with a makeshift high street inside.
- A sequel to Stieg Larsson's Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy is set for 35 countries in August.
- Never underestimate Laura Ingalls Wilder.
- How well-rounded is your personal book collection?
- In the future, there's the possibility that "liking" certain posts on Facebook could lose you your job, your livelihood, and your future.
- Here's a quiz for you: telephones in literature.
Channeling My Inner Indiana Jones
- Data archaeology helps builders avoid buried treasure.
- Take a look at some of the medical instruments found on Blackbeard's ship.
- The treasure hunter who found a fortune in gold and then went on the lam has been captured.
- A lost John Constable painting was purchased at auction for $5 million.
- Confederate gold may be in Lake Michigan.
I ♥ Lists
- 13 female Nobel Laureates in literature.
- 7 reasons you should never date someone who doesn't read books.
- The world's most magical streets shaded by flowers and trees.
- The top ten liars in fiction.
- 50 of the greatest literary moments on TV.
- 15 signs to prove you're a book addict.
That's all for this week. Don't forget to stop by next Friday when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure.
Have a wonderful weekend. Read something fabulous!