|It's going to be an afghan. Honest!|
Knitting does keep your hands busy, and it also seems to stimulate your brain. I find I can keep working on my afghan while my mind does a runner. Those little grey cells are (1) keeping track of those stitches on my needles, (2) paying attention to what's happening on the telly-- and figuring out whodunnit-- and (3) putting together stray thoughts that may actually turn into blog posts one day.
Yes indeed. Time marches on. Which means I'd better get these links rounded up. Head 'em up! Move 'em out!
Books, Movies & Other Interesting Tidbits
- Can learning to read too young backfire?
- How a literary-loving family saved a New York City bookstore.
- Someone else agrees with me about one of my favorite films: Working Girl.
- I may not like it, but I agreed with Martin Freeman when said more Sherlock would make the show lose a lot of its appeal.
- Notes and photos of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis were recently auctioned for $28,400.
- Manga accounts for 80% of all digital book sales in Japan.
- The Toronto Public Library would like to buy your books. If you live in Canada, that is-- and some folks have a problem with that.
- This word-oriented Bookworm is so cool! You can click on any word in President Obama's State of the Union address to see how many presidents have used that word... and which one of them said it most often.
- Children and YA book sales were up 21.6% in 2014.
- The lowdown on 2015's biggest mystery conventions.
- Do you stream television and movies through both Netflix and Amazon Prime? Did you know that Amazon has a page for "Prime Exclusives Not on Netflix"? Neither did I! (Now we both do.)
Channeling My Inner Indiana Jones
- The mystery of the 132-year-old Winchester rifle found propped against a national park tree. There's a story behind this find, and I would love to know it. (Another story I'd love to know? There's a tombstone on Boot Hill in Tombstone, Arizona commemorating an unknown man whose body was found at the bottom of an abandoned mine shaft in 1882. Why was he there? What happened to him?)
- These divers think they've found the "Holy Grail of Great Lakes shipwrecks."
- The Alfred Jewel comes home to Somerset, England after 300 years. It's gorgeous!
- A huge cache of Confederate weapons seized by General Sherman may have been found in a South Carolina river.
- British code breaker Alan Turing's notebook is being sold at auction.
- X-rays are unlocking the secrets of ancient scrolls that were buried by a volcano.
- The mystery of Greece's Alexander the Great-era tomb in Amphipolis deepens with the discovery of bodies.
Channeling My Inner Elly Mae Clampett
I ♥ Lists
- The careers of our greatest authors.
- 20 inspiring children's book quotes.
- 10 fun facts about Winnie the Pooh.
- 10 British villages with unique (and often rude) names and how they got them. I don't know about you, but I love strange place names and discovering their origins!
- 50 books guaranteed to make you more interesting.
- How about a list of the 2015 Edgar Award nominees?
That's all for now. There may not be a link round-up next Friday, but never fear! I'll be back with more freshly selected links for your surfing pleasure soon!
Have a wonderful weekend!