If there were anything like Frequent Driver Miles, I would've gotten them this week since The Poisoned Pen Bookstore saw me three days out of four. I have a few days "rest" which is a very good thing. I've chopped up all the meat and veggies for chicken stew with gnocchi, I have a ton of things to get ready for the mail-- and those piles of Christmas decorations are shouting at me every time I walk past.
|Standing to the left, author Diane Setterfield|
Bookish News & Other Interesting Stuff
I ♥ Lists
- More information about the German who'd been hoarding millions of dollars worth of art looted by the Nazis.
- Amazon will be offering Sunday deliveries through the U.S. Postal Service in select areas.
- C&R and ValoBox have set up a new eBook gifting site.
- Nevada Barr wrote "Welcome to America's real big country: Colorado, Nevada and Utah" for the UK's Guardian.
- The number of self-published titles on the market is up 59% from last year.
- The post office will begin selling Harry Potter stamps Tuesday.
- Bones and bracelets are found in a Roman child's coffin.
- A dog saves her owner's life after a ski accident.
- Why you shouldn't say "You're welcome."
- They've got my money: Costco and Nordstrom refuse to ruin Thanksgiving.
- Traffic lights and stop signs may not aid heavy street traffic as much as you may think.
- Governments around the world are trying to mine Google for more personal information about citizens.
- A Florida principal agrees with a mother who's angry because her son is on the honor roll. You just might be, too.
- Now here's reality TV I wouldn't mind sampling: Italy now has "Masterpiece"-- a reality show for writers.
- UK journalist Ann Morgan decided to read a book from every country in the world in one year.
I ♥ Lists
- 7 life lessons from Leo Tolstoy's Anna Karenina.
- Handwritten manuscripts you can read online.
- 45 great American indie bookstores to support this holiday season. (My personal favorite is #9.)
- 20 British words that mean something totally different in the U.S.
- 26 books that will change the way you see the world.
- 15 strange and awesome cookbooks.
- Author Thomas H. Cook's list of the ten best mystery books. Your mileage may vary.
- 7 great works of fiction inspired by famous architecture.
- 7 books that are perfect for introverts.
- Bookish wedding cakes
- Would anyone like to make me a book pillow or two?
- Fantastic bookish travel destination posters. (I have to admit that one or two were so obscure that they zoomed right over my head.)
That's all for this week. Don't forget to stop by next weekend when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure!