It's forecast to be 112° (44°C) here today in Phoenix. I've got to get the slow cooker set up and Denis off to work, and then-- against the weather prognosticators' advice-- I'll be spending the afternoon outside (in the shady end of the pool reading the most excellent Beneath the Abbey Wall by A.D. Scott.) The only part of their advice that I will be following is to keep hydrated because I always have a nice cold drink at hand. I think my other half is acclimated: we're still running the evap cooler. No central air conditioning for us yet!
|Author Taylor Stevens|
Next week, we'll be heading back to our favorite bookstore to see Craig Johnson, Jon Steele, and Ridley Pearson. One of these days they'll probably just set up cots for us back in a storeroom! Now... let's get to these links I've been collecting....
Bookish News & Other Interesting Stuff
- Listen to a selection from Winnie the Pooh read by its author A.A. Milne in 1929.
- Too bad this can't happen more often: Mr. B's Bookery in Kingston, Washington has been saved by a customer.
- Done any showrooming lately? (Checking out items in a store only to go home and buy the item online.) I've done this myself, but I try not to do it too often. The end results of showrooming could be dire.
- A Colorado couple buys a $5 garage sale chair to discover that it's worth thousands.
- The Guardian believes that gendered covers are failing young adult readers, and I tend to agree.
- What books do you read during a personal crisis?
- H.P. Lovecraft, the writer out of time.
- Is crime fiction the new punk?
- A tempest in a cracked teapot: Prince Charles is cleared of not paying for books at the Hay Festival of Books.
- Here's my chance, and I'm broke: Government to auction aging lighthouses to preservationists.
- The green light has been given to turn Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series of books into a television series.
- Alexander McCall Smith buys some deserted Scottish islands. (I wonder if I can rent one?)
- The cover art for new editions of the Harry Potter books has been revealed.
- I wonder how well this is going to work: Amazon is now hiring Kindle sales reps and recruiting Indie bookstores.
- Correcting the cost of eBooks.
I ♥ Lists
- 10 best names in fiction.
- 20 towns named for other towns but pronounced differently. Yup. You can always tell if the TV news reporters have done their homework just by their pronunciations of these place names!
- Author Hilary Davidson's list of the best indie bookstores. (I wouldn't be at all partial to the second one she lists....)
- Bookstores in America, 2013: a State-by-State Guide.
- 10 famous literary characters who are significantly younger than you think.
- Classic books annotated by famous authors.
- I took the Lexicon Quiz and discovered that I have a few things in common with T.S. Eliot.
- Take a look at this storage-hiding bookcase.
- Watch the new book domino chain world record.
- A gorgeous home library would turn anyone into a bookworm.
That's it for this week. Don't forget to stop by next weekend when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure!