Exactly one month from now Denis and I will be beginning a much anticipated journey, and I've reached that stage where I'm constantly making mental lists and trying to streamline everything as much as possible. And since all this is distracting me from imparting any news that may have occurred, I'm going to cut to the chase and make a few lists for you containing the links I found this week!
Bookish News & Other Interesting Stuff
- Some people are talking about having bookshops charge for browsing. I don't agree with it, but I understand the reasoning behind it. How many people have gone into bookstores and used them as showrooms to test drive books, then gone home to buy those titles from someplace like Amazon? No wonder the "show rooms" are closing in droves.
- Washington, D.C. is the most literate city in the country.
- Wow! A typo cost this woman a fortune!
- There are negative reviews, and there are personal attacks. We need to know how to separate the two.
- A stash of 400-year-old gold coins were found under the floorboards of an Irish pub. (Now... why couldn't I find something like this when I had that old carpet torn up?!?)
- Author Terry Deary boldly stated that libraries are no longer relevant. Has he been hung in effigy yet?
- Life lessons from Middlemarch, Little Women and other books we love.
- Diagnosing your romantic issues based on your favorite literary couple.
I ♥ Lists
- Which books would you unpack first?
- From Amazon, 50 great American love stories.
- Are these the 50 most influential books by women?
- 11 words that don't mean what they sound like.
- 10 movies that make writing look incredibly dangerous.
- 10 haunted libraries around the world.
- 10 stupid movie quotes about reading.
- 9 very specific rules from real libraries.
- 100 years of bookmobiles.
- 5 bright ideas for the libraries of the future.
- 10 things you didn't know about books you read in high school.
- 5 ways keeping a journal can help you de-stress.
- 23 science books that are so exciting they read like genre fiction.
- The Catcase-- a combo bookcase and cat tree.
- The rainbow book chair.
- Prism glasses are supposed to help you read or watch TV while you're lying down.
- This isn't just a massaging bed rest!
New to My Google Reader
That's it for this week. Don't forget to stop by next weekend when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure!