Some of you undoubtedly noticed that there was no Weekly Link Round-Up last Friday. There was a very good reason for that. Denis and I spent last week down in our favorite place to relax: a cottage up in the Mule Mountains, just outside of Bisbee, Arizona. We've found that you can't truly relax at home. You can be on your way out to the pool, see something, and think to yourself, "Oh! I've been meaning to get that done, so I'd better get at it!" There's always something to be done at home, so we go down to Bisbee when we really want to get away.
We indulge in the best pizza either of us has ever eaten anywhere-- Bella Roma Pizza in historic Old Bisbee, and we both get a lot of reading done. Denis spends part of the week pursuing mutual interests with the cottage's owner, and me? I have my own Bisbee routine. This night owl will go to bed early (midnight) and get up by 5 AM, leaving Denis to sleep as long as he likes. After eating breakfast, I'll move my favorite white wicker rocker to just outside the cottage door where I'll be in the shade with my raspberry iced tea, book and camera until 11 AM. I have a view of mountains, trees, the birdbath, a hummingbird feeder... and any wildlife that happens to visit. Believe me, there are mornings that "my spot" can be Grand Central Station for critters, and if you stop by Kittling: Books tomorrow, you'll see two of my visitors in my Saturday Snapshot post. After noon, I move my book and myself into the bedroom where I'll read a bit more and nap the afternoon away. Rough life, eh?
I could go on and on, but this is the link round-up, not my vacation rhapsody. Let me go track down those links....
Bookish News & Other Interesting Stuff
- Here's a quiz that I had fun with: How much poetry do you know by heart?
- I always knew I liked Nathan Fillion: He's hooked on books, and he talks about Castle and Firefly.
- Did you know that, down through the ages, killer shoes could really... kill?
- What your bookshelf says about you to a date.
- Oprah's Book Club 2.0 launches and puts an emphasis on eBooks.
- The Kurio 7 tablet for... toddlers.
I ♥ Lists
- Classic novels and the filmmakers who were born to direct them.
- 10 famous authors whose lives would make awesome books.
- The childhood homes of 20 famous authors.
- 17 winning words from past National Spelling Bees.
- Famous writers' retreats: the rooms where classics were created.
- An apartment in Brazil designed around a gigantic bookcase.
- An apartment in Australia for bibliophiles.
- The best places for bookstore browsing.
- Love Post-It notes? How about a Post-It note table?
- Too pretty to eat: Medieval illuminated initial cookies.
New to My Google Reader
That's it for this week. Don't forget to stop by next weekend when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure!