This week I posted a scan I did of my very first handwritten Christmas wishlist. Well... the very first one that was written in a recognizable form of English! In that same folder of paperwork I found two of my mother's favorite Christmas recipes.
Mom was the baker of cakes and cookies in this family. She would come across these obscure recipes, test them, bake more and take them to PTA meetings and the like-- and then everyone in town would want the recipe. I found mimeographed copies of Mom's Blackbottom Cupcake recipe and after trying my hand at making Lemon Carrot bread yesterday, I tried my hand at the Blackbottom Cupcakes this evening. They taste the same, but I'll have to make them again to get them to look right. Tomorrow I'm going to make Miniature Cheesecakes. All this baking I'm doing is not only announcing to the world that I'm back and celebrating Christmas in a big way, it's channeling a lot of memories, too. Memories have always been a big part of Christmas to me. How about you?
How about some links you say? I got those, too!
Bookish News & Other Fun Stuff
- Clive Thompson on the Future of Printed Books.
- How low will Amazon go? Is a bargain the only thing Americans really want-- and are we that willing to sell our souls to get one?
- Author Sue Ann Jaffarian writes a sobering post on Remembering the Forgotten.
- In Death Comes to Pemberley, P.D. James picks up where Austen left off.
- A "witch's cottage" is unearthed in Lancashire, England.
- Mother Reader talks about Blogger/Publisher relationships.
- Bookstores are having to rethink the familiar book tour.
- 1.6 Billion Reasons why American still needs libraries.
- Charles Dickens' manuscript illuminates the workings of his mind.
- These driftwood sculptures are fantastic!
- What a wonderful idea-- New books for new homeowners!
Book Candy: Home Libraries
- Have you ever thought about having a hammock in your home library?
- Classic library design ideas from House Beautiful.
- Business Week's Super Home Libraries.
- Library inspiration. Some of these are...just... wow....
- 10 tips to creating a relaxing home library.
- More wows-- 10 outstanding home library design ideas.
Christmas is coming....
- How about the Book Lover's edition of Trivial Pursuit?
- ...or a nightshirt that declares "I cannot sleep unless I am surrounded by books"?
My Nook Book Pick of the Week
- Peter James' Dead Simple is only $2.99!
- Otto Penzler and I, or Hopeful Luddites Talk Digital.
- Self-publishing and ebook predictions for 2012.
I ♥ Lists
- The 7 Types of Book Lover. Which one are you?
- Top 10 books about tiny people.
- Top 10 music books.
- 10 lost novels the world found again.
That's it from the Baker of Casa Kittling for this week! Don't forget to stop by next weekend when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure!