I've just returned from grocery shopping. Blech. It's a chore that I abhor doing any time of the year, but August in Phoenix means grocery shopping is a race to see which melts faster: my brain or the ice cream.
This week was not a yawn week. Denis has had trouble with chronic painful ear infections in one ear. He's already suffered hearing loss due to his years in the Royal Navy, but his doctor has done wonders in greatly improving his hearing. (For which his soft-spoken, sharp-eared wife owes him a huge debt of gratitude!) Well, Denis needed an operation to get rid of that infection-- something that would normally be an outpatient affair-- but since he has sleep apnea, he had to stay overnight.
I had to smile seeing him after surgery. He had a bandage that definitely made him look as though he'd come out on the wrong end of a horrible fight-- but someone had gotten creative and tied a little bow in it above his left eye... complete with frilled edges. Someone is quite talented with rolls of gauze!
He's back home now, and (as we used to say in my old stomping grounds) he's fine as frog hair. We've both had our hospital stays for 2011, and we'd better stay out of the places for a good long time!
On to the links before I head out for the pool!
Bookish News & Other Fun Stuff
- Agatha Christie, Surfer Chick?
- Have you heard of the Little Free Library program?
- An article that did my heart good: independent bookstores here in the Phoenix metro area are thriving.
- An air bed with book storage.
- Photos taken at a book shower-- instead of the usual baby shower gifts, the gift givers bring books to build a shelf in the baby's library. What a wonderful idea!
- Someone must be watching me in the afternoons while I'm out in the pool: the world's first waterproof paperback will hit the shelves next summer.
- Want to take an advanced look at the cast of The Hobbit?
- 10 Action Librarians.
- If I were you, I wouldn't shoplift any books in Sri Lanka!
- A short video: Don't be an iPhoney. (Get all the information you need about a book from bookstore employees and then go buy it online.)
- Have you ever wondered, "What If Reading Books Paid the Bills?"
- The upside of the publishing crisis.
- Would you rather... solve crimes with Sherlock Holmes or fight for justice with Atticus Finch?
A Few of Those Lists
- 10 books you should have read in high school.
- Yuppie Lit: Books about the filthy rich.
- The greatest heists of all time.
- 10 books any self-respecting feminist needs on her shelf.
- Famous people who simply vanished.
- 10 of the best literary haunts in Edinburgh.
Social Media & Blogging Tips
- Social media background checks are becoming more common.
New to My Google Reader
That's it for this week. Don't forget to stop by next weekend when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure!