Now is the time to come clean and tell you that I wasn't insanely busy for two solid weeks; I was only insanely busy for one week. Last week, Denis and I were relaxing down in Bisbee, so I had to work myself into a tizzy to get posts written and scheduled (along with everything else) so I could loll at my leisure with a clear conscience.
I was scarcely online the entire week we were gone, but I've still managed to rustle up a whole heapin' helpin' of links. I'd better round them up and get this show on the road!
Books, Movies & Other Interesting Tidbits
- Abraham Lincoln's handwriting has been found in a book on racial theory.
- When you use the word "novel," just what exactly do you mean?
- Psychologists have discovered that a surprising thing happens to kids who read the Harry Potter books.
- A bookmark that reminds you to read via Twitter. (That's something I've never needed a reminder for!)
- Is it wrong for bibliophiles to spoil movies or TV shows for others? (Yes, we should go elsewhere and chatter amongst ourselves.)
- The state of worldwide library eBook lending.
- Do we need consumer protection for eBooks?
- An interesting article about the man who documented the last native tribes in America.
- Amazon posted this update concerning their business interruption with Hachette. The New Yorker believes their pitch to authors failed.
- Lost Dr. Seuss stories are going to be republished.
- Season 5 of Game of Thrones is probably going to upset fans in a major way.
- Are you a book hoarder? There's a word for that.
- A Richmond mom brings literacy to laundromats.
- A new trailer for Outlander was revealed during Comic Con.
- George RR Martin has donated $10,000 to a UK wolf charity after a 13-year-old's pocket money plea.
- The children's book Bob, Son of Battle is being modernized, and I just can't decide whether or not I like the idea.
- Bel Kaufman, author of Up the Down Staircase, has died. The book made quite an impression on me all those years ago.
- Yaddo has been designated as a National Historic Landmark.
- A bathroom reading habits infographic.
- First edition books are a first-class way to invest.
- Why you should ignore book blurbs.
- Want to see the world? Check out a library in Queens.
I ♥ Lists
- The top ten British mystery shows every Anglophile will enjoy. (The trouble is that there are so many there's on one list that can contain them all!)
- 28 breathtaking photos of lighthouses.
- 20 relaxing vacation spots for book lovers.
- 16 of the most magnificent trees in the world.
- 62 of the world's most beautiful libraries.
- Translations of some of the more common things a book snob says.
- 19 wonderful vintage school library posters.
- 10 of the most depressing places in literature.
- The 35 writers who run the literary internet.
- 13 dysfunctional literary couples who should have broken up.
- How to become a terrible library patron in 5 easy steps.
- 8 tips for moving when you have a ton of books.
- 20 colorful stairways around the globe.
Channeling My Inner Indiana Jones
- A Wyoming cave with fossil secrets is to be excavated.
- A museum rediscovers an ancient skeleton... in storage. (Reminds me a bit of the ending of Raiders of the Lost Ark....)
- A 2,100-year-old king's mausoleum has been discovered in China.
- Iron Age bones discovered in Denmark are revealing some bizarre ancient rituals.
- The origins of the mysterious World Trade Center ship have been revealed.
- The mysterious plain of megalithic jars.
- Dinosaurs evolved into birds after shrinking for 50 million years.
- Tyrannosaur "gangs" terrorized the ancient landscape.
- I love these bookshelves at St. Mark's Bookshop in New York City.
- Several of the surrealistic book paintings of Alireza Darvish are marvelous.
- More gorgeousness: these Chinese Lord of the Ring book covers.
- I don't know how happy I would be with it, but you can add a bed to the back of your bookcase.
- The world's coolest bookstores.
- Karn, not your run-of-the-mill bookcase.
- A first for me: this literary straightjacket.
That's all for now. Don't forget to stop by next Friday when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure. Have a great weekend!