This is the perfect time of year to get a lot of reading done while sitting in the shade in the pool, and that's exactly what I've been doing. Cicadas are whirring away at varying decibel levels. Monsoon thunderheads build and collapse high above me in the cobalt sky. Hummingbirds and dragonflies play in the water of the pool aerator. I can even tell how good a book is by my skin: the higher the prune factor, the better the book.
I well remember the first time I met one of these beetles. It flew at me out of nowhere, and I found myself running for cover. Dashing into the laundry room, I managed to get my hands on the broom and gave it a couple of good whacks. In no time at all, it was lying on the patio, deathly still. I had conquered the alien!
For good measure, I went inside and got a can of foaming bug spray, guaranteed to "kill bugs dead". I sprayed a mound of the stuff on the alien-- until it was completely buried under the avalanche. An hour later, I remembered that I had to remove the corpse, but when I went out to do so, what do I see but an antenna waving above the foam! I would tell you that the thing crawled off and lived to divebomb me another day, but it wouldn't be true. And that's all I shall say on the matter; I have links to share!
Bookish Lists & Quizzes
- Top ten tales of Americans in Europe.
- Ten unconventional bookstores.
- 20 alcoholic beverages inspired by Harry Potter.
- Extraordinary literary debts.
- Top ten Iranian books.
- Top ten animal adventures.
- Here's a quiz about favorite fictional characters in the classroom.
Bookish News & Other Fun Stuff
- Weird writing habits of famous authors.
- The Book Barge-- a bookshop in England I'd love to visit.
- Why librarians should be more like Lady Gaga.
- Dog bookends. (Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.)
- Students getting up close and personal with rare books.
- World literature tour: Indonesia.
- These authors are famous for the wrong book.
- Awesome people reading.
- It's the end for Borders, but how are independent bookstores faring?
- Book-obsessed mystery lovers.
- A bookaholic's bed.
Blogging & Social Media Tips
- 7 places to have fun on your blog.
- How to master web browser tricks.
- 21 Google+ privacy tips.
- Why should you check your blog for broken links?
New to My Google Reader
That's it for this week. I hope you found an item or two that tickled your fancy. Don't forget to stop by next weekend when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure!