I fell off the wagon again and ordered some books, so there's going to be a huge Mailbox Monday post to write up. Ah well... I learned at my librarian mother's knee that one of the joys in life is the opening of boxes of new books.
What really made the headlines here this week was The Storm. California has the unfortunate habit of sharing some of its nastiest weather with us folks here in Arizona. (Must be payback for thousands of us spending summers on their beaches.) High winds, torrential rains and golfball-sized hail struck here at Casa Kittling. I literally had to cover my ears to drown out the noise of the hail hitting the house and windows. The yard and pool were both flooded as well. Fortunately there's no hail damage to anything, and Denis is a pro at cleaning mud and debris out of the pool. Lots of other places here in the Phoenix area were not so lucky-- especially the places that received tennis ball sized hail!
Enough yakking about the weather. Let's get on with the links!
Bookish News & Other Fun Stuff
- An inspirational post: Why you're a real writer (even if you don't think so).
- This woman needs to get a grip, and I'm not talking weapons: Woman travels four hours to kill mean Internet commenter.
- You gotta take a look at this coffee bar that's a block away from the New York Public Library!
- I enjoyed this article about the Old Tampa Book Co.
- Why you shouldn't buy an e-reader.
- The rise of the literary tattoo.
- My book find of the week was Yarn Bombing from a review on Chris's blog Muddy Puddle Musings. Then I found out there was a website! I know that many of us who read like it's going out of style also like to stitch, and I love Yarn Bombing's motto: "Improving the urban landscape one stitch at a time."
Blogging & Social Media Tips
- Fantastic Website Evaluation Tools from the Blog Herald.
New to My Google Reader
That's all for this week. Don't forget to stop by next Friday when I'll have a fresh batch of links for your surfing pleasure. See you then!