Ever had one of those weeks where a lot happened but none of it was particularly newsworthy? Well, that pretty much sums up this week at Casa Kittling. While Denis was at work, there was plenty of cooking, reading, laundry, blogging, emailing, needlepoint and the like. On Denis's days off, it was Doctors Appointments Week for him. The last appointment was for a colonoscopy. The prep for it was much changed, we noticed. Although extended, it now is kinder and gentler, and Denis wasn't grumpy at all, which was music to these ears. When the doc tells you that you need one, don't argue! It could save your life like it did for my darlin' Denis.
|Inside the Glenmorangie Distillery|
You all know that I tend to look for bookstores whenever I travel. Denis is a willing participant, but he does have an interest of his own. Whenever we're in Scotland, he does like to check out the local whisky distilleries-- and there happen to be one or two (cough, cough) in that country. The photo above was taken by Denis on his tour of the Glenmorangie Distillery in Tain, Ross-shire, Scotland. Sláinte!
Bookish News & Other Interesting Stuff
- I was very sad to hear that one of the premier mystery bookstores in the US was being sold, but now there's good news! Booked For Murder is now under new ownership and will reopen on June 15 with a brand-new name: Mystery to Me!
- I sometimes wonder how much these studies cost that come to "duh" conclusions? The latest one says that letting children choose the sorts of books they like to read is critical to nurturing their love of reading. Like I said--- Duh!
- We're being inundated with Gatsby-itis due to the DiCaprio remake that opened today. Here's a fabulous graphic on Living in Gatsby's World.
- Real estate developers have always been fond of F. Scott Fitzgerald's classic.
- Why it took so long for The Great Gatsby to be considered a literary classic.
- John Lennon's first car is up for auction. Anyone need a ticket to ride?
- The mystery of Abraham Lincoln's funeral car has been solved by a chemist.
- This author was recently featured here on Kittling: Books. Now a tea with Maureen Jennings at the King Edward Hotel in Toronto is up for bids on eBay.
- Penguin Books is supporting the fight against animal cruelty with its Read Humane campaign.
- It's always nice to read a success story. Here's one about Horizon Books, an indie bookstore in Traverse City, Michigan.
- I am so disappointed with myself! I was in Durness, Scotland, and was so mesmerized by its beaches that I didn't even realize it had a bookshop. Now the Loch Croispol bookshop's for sale! (The video clip is quite interesting, and you'll be able to catch glimpses of those beaches I fell in love with.)
I ♥ Lists & Quizzes
- Look at all the great mysteries the Poisoned Pen Press has for just 99¢!
That's it for this week. Don't forget to stop by next weekend when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure!