For those not in the know, "haboob" is another word for dust storm, and we had a doozy here in Phoenix Tuesday night. I'm still picking the grit out of my teeth. Our rains here in the Sonoran Desert are seasonal. To us, this is monsoon season-- which sounds funny to anyone who pictures the heavy downpours in tropical countries, but that's all "monsoon" means... "seasonal". We rely on a good monsoon season to top up the water tanks, so to speak. If we're lucky, we get some rain along with the dust storms. If we're even luckier, two inches of rain won't try to fall in ten seconds or less. Nothing floods quicker than the sun-baked earth here in the desert.
But enough of the weather. Let's get to the links!
Bookish Lists & Quizzes
- 15 of the worst books to read on a plane.
- 10 Sci-Fi authors you should know.
- Literary greats in their bathing suits.
- The debut of The Hungry Novelist questionnaire.
- Andrew Miller's Top 10 historical novels.
- Summer reading suggestions for kids of all ages.
- 8 fascinating facts you probably don't know about famous authors.
- 10 manly books to honor Ernest Hemingway's death.
- Summer reading: 9 books for entertainment junkies.
- The 10 best literary picnics.
Bookish Furniture & Travel
- A wonderful tour of literary homes.
- A wheel of books.
- A 17th Century Chinese traveling bookcase.
- A Bauhaus bookcase.
- How to put a bedside lamp in a hollow book.
- eBooks flying off the eShelves at Minneapolis libraries.
- eReader ownership doubles in six months.
- Amazon Android tablet set to rival the iPad.
- Women prefer eReaders, men prefer tablets.
Social Media & Blogging Tips
- Keep your blog from being hacked.
- 5 reasons to start a Facebook page.
- Is it time to hit the reset button on your blog?
Other Interesting Tidbits
- The Book Cover Archive
- Some of our favorite literary detectives are getting a bit... old.
- The Chinese government is finding it's not as easy to ban books as it used to be.
- Rupert Grint on the end of Ron Weasley.
New to My Google Reader
Hopefully you found a thing or two that piqued your interest. Don't forget to stop by next weekend when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure!