It's been a relatively calm week here at Casa Kittling. It won't be long until Denis and I head out for Bisbee, and I've already chosen the books I'm going to pack. The only bit of real excitement I've had occurred Sunday.
For some reason, I got the wild hair to take my book and iced tea outside earlier, and I'm glad I did. I'd been sitting there for a while, immersed in the wild and wacky world of Jasper Fforde, when I heard skittering noises, a tiny squawk, and saw movement from the corner of my eye. I looked up in time to see one of the local pain-in-the-butt stray cats-- my "favorite" yellow one that likes to sleep on our front steps-- disappear around the waterfall and down the alley. Floundering in the pool was a recently fledged mockingbird. The parents were dividing their time in an effort to chase the cat and protect their baby.
It was Cathy to the rescue. I got the terrified baby out of the pool and put it someplace safe to dry out. It was strange, but the second I got up to rescue the young mocker, its parents quieted down. I suppose by now they know what a soft touch I am. I knew the baby wouldn't get over its terror with me hovering and that its parents would stay away, so I went back to my chair and back to Jasper Fforde. I got the idea that my efforts were appreciated, for the next hour, Daddy Mocker serenaded me with his rendition of "La Cucaracha". Just another day at Casa Kittling's wildlife center.
You may think that I've forgotten all about those links, but you're wrong. Here they are!
Bookish News & Other Fun Stuff
- A gallery of bookshelves, courtesy of the Guardian.
- A country without libraries.
- How a book gets its cover.
- A top ten list of outsiders' stories.
- The five biggest-selling books of all time in pictures.
- The Stockholm Syndrome theory of long novels.
- Publishers Weekly talks about bookstores and bloggers.
- How reading and doing crosswords can block your ability to hear (if you're not blessed with selective hearing as I am).
- USA Today talks about this summer's best reads.
- Amazon reveals its list of the most well-read cities in America.
- For those not acquainted with tornadoes: a bird's-eye view of Joplin, Missouri, before and after the tornado.
- One of my favorite authors, Betty Webb, lets us see where she writes.
Book Blogger Appreciation Week
Social Media, Blogging & Writing Tips
- Watch out for the law trolls.
- Accepting unknown friends on Facebook can get your account hacked.
- Is your giveaway legal?
- Copyright, trademark and blog design.
- E-book Endeavors: How to help your favorite authors.
- Hands-on with the new Nook.
- Kobo unveils a touch screen e-reader.
Around the Water Cooler in the Book Blogosphere
- Got an opinion on book blurbs? So does Bernadette of Reactions to Reading: Putting the spin on books.
- The Bumbles have an excellent list: Best of Blogging Links.
Stop by next weekend when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure!