It may not seem like much to any of the rest of you, but there's one reason why I think this week has been a success: I went to get my teeth cleaned at the dentist, and she had to search my mouth for something to pick at. Most of the time I was in the chair was spent as social hour. Now... if that's not the way to spend time at the dentist's, then I don't know what is! As you can tell, it's been a quiet week, hence the dentist reference. Let's move on to those links!
Bookish News & Other Fun Stuff
- Want to buy a library card catalog?
- From my decades' long interest in Tsarist Russian history: a series of wonderful photos of St. Petersburg from the rooftops, and St. Petersburg from a helicopter. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!
- For fellow crime fiction lovers: did you know that they're turning Ken Bruen's Jack Taylor novel The Guards into a pilot for Irish television? Hopefully it will make its way over to this side of the pond, but I'll also be keeping my eyes peeled at Acorn Media, which is the best place for British and Irish television on DVD.
- Again for crime fiction lovers: a Scandinavian Crime Writers Interactive Map.
- The 15 Biggest Bestsellers Ever After the Bible.
- 15 Great Movies Where Authors Are the Stars.
- I would dearly love to browse and buy in Taschen's high-end bookstores.
- The Diary of a Disappointed Book.
- A trend: No eBooks Allowed in This Establishment. Do you agree with it?
- Solving the 800-year mystery of the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
- It's always fun to pick lists like this apart: NPR's Top 100 Killer Thrillers.
Blogging & Social Media Tips
- From Blogger: How to Promote Your Blog.
- Why it's important to use Tags and Categories on each of your blog posts.
- For those using Blogger: Creating a three column (or a wide two column) blog template.
- Author Elizabeth Spann Craig has some great tips on using Google Reader.
Around the Water Cooler in the Book Blogosphere
- From Book, Line, and Sinker: Who Reads Your Blog?
- From Shooting Stars Mag: I'd Like My Book Covers with Plus-Size Models, Please!
- From The Boston Bibliophile: Building a Better Home Library.
- From Love, Laughter, and a Touch of Insanity: after reviewing Admit One: My Life in Film, Trish wants to know "What movies did you see as a kid that left an imprint on you?
- From The Lost Entwife: the development of a Book Blogger Location Directory.
New to My Google Reader
That's it for this week. Don't forget to stop by next Friday when I'll have a freshly picked batch of links for your surfing pleasure. See you then!