Take a step out my back door, and you will smell roses. My Tombstone roses are in bloom. They cover two large sections of fence, and as the years pass, they will continue to grow and cover even more. They're gorgeous in the spring, and I'm always glad when our travels don't take us out of town at this time of year. I miss their glorious bounty otherwise.
It's been a busy couple of weeks, and I have a lot of posts to write, so instead of blathering away about this and that, I'll just mosey on out to the corral and see about getting these links rounded up for you. Head 'em up! Moooooooove 'em out!
►Books, Movies & Other Interesting Tidbits◄
- I think I've found the perfect badge to wear!
- How parents and teachers can nurture the quiet power of introverts.
- The complete guide to reading-- and even enjoying-- classic literature.
- Crash courses prepare art conservators for catastrophic disasters.
- Half of all languages come from this one root tongue.
- Take a look at how Dutch artists celebrated George Orwell's birthday in 2013.
- The "Girl" in the title is more than a marketing trend.
- Coloring books for adults take off at New York City public library branches.
- eBooks published in Australia now have to be submitted to the National Library.
- Judy Blume wants parents to stop worrying about what their children read.
- A Chicago book dealer has a van full of rare books stolen in California.
- John Grisham thinks his new book is so important, he's giving it away for free.
- The theme for Banned Books Week 2016 is Diversity.
- Ava DuVernay is to direct the movie adaptation of A Wrinkle in Time.
- Can you read yourself happy?
- The mystery of the Maltese Falcon, one of the most valuable movie props in history.
- Barnes and Noble has confirmed that a new prototype store will open this year.
- Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere radio adaptation is available for free.
- What children are reading in the United Kingdom.
- Pakistan has unveiled a national eBook campaign.
- Why books were big at the 2016 Oscars.
- Michael Cunningham prefers shorter books with lots of voice.
- 2015 was a bright spot for bookselling.
- What was the secret of The Martian's success?
- Sell an Oscar, get sued.
- Oops. Time lists Evelyn Waugh as a "most-read female author."
- The explosive truth behind the movie theater projection room.
- Should dictionaries do more to confront sexism?
►Channeling My Inner Indiana Jones◄
- How about that time the Paris Mosque helped Jews escape the Nazis by giving them Muslim IDs?
- A fallen U.S. World War II hero's Army dog tag has been found on a Pacific island.
- A mysterious artifact has been discovered in Bethlehem's Church of the Nativity.
- Solving the mystery of glow-in-the-dark Civil War soldiers.
- A skull adds a new twist to the old legend of Kabul's "cruel king."
►Channeling My Inner Elly Mae Clampett◄
- Rogue bison pose a quandary for the Grand Canyon. (Yes, there are wild buffalo at the North Rim.)
- Little meals being eaten by little critters.
- 11 psychedelic creatures that will blow your mind. (Do I hear a "Far out!"?)
- Children are reading books to traumatized shelter dogs to help rehabilitate them.
►The Happy Wanderer◄
- Once you take a look at these photos, you'll see why I'd love to take a nice, leisurely holiday in a gypsy caravan. They're gorgeous!
- The strongest cyclone ever recorded in the Southern Hemisphere made landfall in Fiji.
- These photos will show you why I need to go to Chester the next time Denis and I are in the UK!
- Fuggerei, a magical place where the rent hasn't been raised since the year 1520.
- The winners of the Underwater Photographer of the Year competition.
- Five alternatives to the most crowded national parks in America.
- Visiting the oldest bookstore in America-- and its resident ghost.
- The library that put readers in cages.
- France's legendary haunted lighthouse has its first resident since 1910.
- Eric Brown, record-breaking British aviator and World War II combat pilot, has died at the age of 97.
►I ♥ Lists◄
- 50 Oscar facts you never knew.
- Here is what would make people upgrade their eReaders.
- 12 translators on why they do what they do.
- 10 books coming to a movie theater near you.
- 13 mystery novels that are all about books.
- 10 books about loneliness.
That's all for this week! Don't forget to stop by next Friday when I'll be sharing a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure.
Have a great weekend, and read something fabulous!