You know what one of the biggest winter draws in the Valley of the Sun is? Baseball's spring training. And can I ever see a difference in the traffic! On my way to The Poisoned Pen last Saturday, the streets were clogged with out-of-towners going well below the speed limit because (1) they didn't know where they were going, and/or (2) they were scared to death of driving in a big city. Oh well. They bring lots of money, and I can sympathize with anyone who wants to get away from their horrid winter weather to soak up our balmy temperatures and brilliant blue skies.
|Another progress report!|
Remember that afghan I've been working on? It's finished! Since Denis laid claim to it, I made him "model" it for us. Following in my mother's footsteps, I decided to knit an afghan that you can really wrap yourself up in. It's soft and lightweight and warm. In fact, I had to be careful how I draped the thing as I worked on it so I wouldn't overheat. Look at the size of it-- I may as well start stitching a bedspread for our king-sized bed next! The other photo shows the afghan neatly folded and a project that I finished in two evenings. No, I have no need of a warm scarf here in Phoenix, but I have many friends and relatives who live in cold country, and I made suggestions and have taken some requests for color combinations, length, etc. From the looks of things, I'll be needing those 72 skeins of yarn I ordered last week!
Oops. Put down the knitting needles and round up those links, Cathy! Head 'em up, move 'em out!
Books, Movies & Other Interesting Tidbits
- I agree with Game of Thrones' Kit Harrington about the internet abuse of George RR Martin.
- Social media can be dangerous: how one stupid tweet blew up a person's life.
- Facebook users can now pick someone to manage their account after they die.
- The lost letters of the alphabet.
- Amazon's Sunday delivery service is having an effect on the U.S. Postal Service.
- Barnes and Noble wants to know-- What's your book nerd score?
- Libraries are experiencing challenges with generating revenue from eBooks.
- The TV adaptation of J.K. Rowling's The Casual Vacancy topped the ratings in the UK. I can't wait for it to get over here!
- Here's a guessing game for you: Edgar Allan Poe or Goth song lyrics?
- Princeton University has been bequeathed a $300 million rare book library.
- Why To Kill a Mockingbird won't die.
- Whoda thunk it? The three most desirable jobs in Britain are author, librarian and academic!
Channeling My Inner Indiana Jones
- This historic Indian sword was beautifully crafted.
- 200 years later, archaeologists are exploring what lies beneath the Waterloo Battlefield.
- Night hawkers are threatening Hadrian's Wall.
- A house Billy the Kid once used as a hideout is for sale.
- Employees at George Washington's home, Mount Vernon, are always being asked how much of the building is original. They decided to use lasers to find out.
- A rare 1763 Scots dictionary went up for sale on eBay.
Channeling My Inner Elly Mae Clampett
- I wonder if I'll be knitting sweaters like this when I'm 109?
- Some scientists are working on reviving extinct species. (Shades of Jurassic Park!) As much as I love critters, I don't think I want a wooly mammoth trampling my petunias.
The Happy Wanderer
- Here's a guide to India's first city of books.
- When traveling, you might as well stay in the best library hotels.
- Scientists think there could be life on Jupiter's moon Europa.
I ♥ Lists
- 10 signs you have low book self-esteem.
- 24 DIY bookends to adorn your shelves.
- 14 must-haves for the perfect booklovers' night in.
- The opposite habits of famous writers.
- A look at banned books through history.
- 55 photos that will satisfy any perfectionist. Several of them are amazing!
- Here's a comprehensive list of free eBook websites for your eReader.
- 10 authors who take/took themselves much too seriously.
- 18 books every woman should read when she's 18.
- 28 reasons you should stay inside and read a book.
- 22 pets who have no intention of letting you read your book.
That's all for this week. Don't forget to stop by next Friday when I'll be sharing a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure.
Have a wonderful weekend, and read something fabulous!