The pruning, raking, hauling, and painting have paid off, and now begins my favorite time of the year: chilling out in the pool, reading book after book, and sipping one tall cold drink after another. Denis and I have gone to The Poisoned Pen, been on a jewelry buying expedition, gone out to lunch... and most of my afternoons are spent out in my oasis-- usually with a damselfly on my book or my finger or my shoulder (it's a youngster and can't make up its mind).
Before I wax any more poetic, I'd best harvest those links, eh?
Books, Movies & Other Interesting Tidbits
- I've discovered lots of interesting reading on Women Writing the West.
- Global audiobook trends for 2014.
- An infographic on the truth about eBook piracy.
- Is Amazon really the devil?
- See how the digital dino effects of Jurassic Park changed movies forever.
- eBooks are expected to outsell print in the UK by 2018.
- Protesters in Thailand have adopted the three-finger salute from The Hunger Games.
- What if we reinstated the draft?
- Scientists are exploring ways to use trees to clean pollution. (Uh... guys? That's one reason why trees are on this planet. Always has been!)
Channeling my Inner Indiana Jones
- Tests have confirmed that a painting is a Rembrandt self-portrait.
- An ancient pharaonic tomb has been discovered in Egypt.
- A US Navy dive will be exploring a World War II-era shipwreck.
- Why Queen Elizabeth II was marked by World War II.
- Ten fascinating facts on the 70th anniversary of D-Day. (Ever seen Saving Private Ryan? Those opening scenes of landing craft taking the soldiers to the beach heads? That's one of the things my grandfather had to do-- driving landing craft-- during World War II.)
- You never know what you'll find when you clean an old painting-- like a beached whale in a 17th-century Dutch painting.
I ♥ Lists
- Best literary put-downs.
- 10 of the best independent bookstores across the U.S.
- 15 books with memorable dads for Father's Day.
- 10 obnoxious things people say to hard-core readers.
- Lots of reader goodies to purchase at Gone Reading, which donates 100% of its after-tax profits to reading-related charities.
- I love this masking tape!
- I also love this woman's workspace.
- Another love? These antique library steps!
That's all for now. Don't forget to stop by again next Friday when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure. Have a great weekend!