I know that y'all are wondering what's so dazzling about this week's link round-up. Do I have more photos of Casa Kittling being transformed by new paint colors? No, can't say as I do. Did Denis buy me a diamond ring? No-- and that's a good thing, since I loathe diamonds. Do I know the winning lottery numbers? Nope. So what's so dazzling about this week's link round-up? It's not so much the links that dazzle (in fact I think there are fewer this week) as it is how I've spent my time: in a dazzle of damselflies.
|A Rambur's Forktail damselfly|
But I've been sharing my books and my arms with these tiny dazzlers. One prefers Julia Spencer-Fleming, another adult likes William Kent Krueger, while the youngest and tiniest of them all prefers Sam Eastland's tale of Stalinist Russia. And none of them will dream of sharing my book or arm with another of their kind, so I've been watching flashes of gold and aqua and bronze and lime green battle it out for supremacy and the right to read and relax with me. I've even had to fish one of the losers out of the pool so it could fly back to relax another day.
Let me share these links with you folks so I can go back out and be dazzled once more!
Books, Movies & Other Interesting Tidbits
- How Amazon.com is hurting readers, authors, and publishers.
- George RR Martin's editor is hinting there might be an eighth Game of Thrones book. (I've just spent the past couple of weeks getting hooked on-- and catching up with-- the HBO television series. Sooner or later, I'll be turning to the books.)
- Good news for the Phoenix area-- and me because I'm very close by-- independent bookstore, Changing Hands, has opened a second store in Phoenix. Much more convenient for me than their store in Tempe!
- Germans have a very difficult time saying "squirrel," and that's perfectly okay because I have a very difficult time speaking German!
- In junta-ruled Thailand, reading can get you in trouble.
- To let you know that I'm well and truly hooked on Game of Thrones, here's a video about the science of the book and television series.
Channeling My Inner Indiana Jones
- An ancient fish lizard graveyard has been discovered beneath a melting glacier.
- History on wheels: five things to know about the queen's new carriage.
- Archaeologists have uncovered volcanic evidence that openes a new mystery about the Mayan civilization.
- Scientists have discovered a planet they thought was impossible.
- The Earth's gravitational pull is creating bulges on the moon.
- A Roman fort and harbor have been unearthed in England.
- A skeleton discovered in Scotland may be that of a 10th century Irish Viking king.
- Forget Shakespeare and the others, King Richard III was not a hunchback.
- A caveman campsite has been uncovered at a construction site in London.
I ♥ Lists
- Can you guess these classic books from their phantom covers?
- 7 habits of highly effective readers.
- 11 grammatical words and terms that sound dirty.
- 15 movies starring bookstores.
- 10 snug and stylish ways to curl up with a good book.
- The Old Butcher's Bookshop in Paris.
- 19th century French book advertisements.
- 23 creative bookmarks to make sure you pick up where you left off.
- Silent bookshelves
- The Minimal bookshelf
- There's one room in this Tucson home that I would love to have. Guess which one.
- 50 super ideas for your home library.
Well, that's it for this edition. Don't forget to stop by next Friday when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure. Now pardon me... I have a date with a few dazzlers!
Have a great weekend!