Yet another quiet week passes here at Casa Kittling. I got our income taxes filed at the beginning of the week, and I'm looking forward to tasting the Cajun shrimp and rice that I'll be cooking for dinner. I have an outing to The Poisoned Pen this weekend, and Denis is putting the finishing touches on a new desk set-up for me. (Yes, I'll post a photo or two when everything is complete.)
More than anything else, I'm trying to get back to feeling connected... like everything is back to normal. Have any of you ever felt at loose ends and not known why? That's me, and I can't say that I enjoy the feeling. Oh, well. Enough musing-- on to those links!
- Harry Bosch fans can view the pilot episode of "Bosch" on Amazon.
- A beloved Connecticut librarian, Edith Nettleton, dies at the age of 105.
- Stephen King will be publishing a new novel in June.
- Read a short passage from a book, answer three questions, and find out What Speed Do You Read? (I'm 500 words per minute with all three questions answered correctly.)
- There's a newly discovered Jane Austen manuscript.
- Ringo Starr's "Octopus's Garden" has been turned into a children's book-- perfect!
- Simon & Schuster has introduced a book news site, 250 Words, that does not focus exclusively on its own books.
- Throw away your TBR list!
- Brooklyn libraries are shrinking due to the number of unreturned books.
- How a photo collecting hobby turned into a bestselling novel.
- The 2014 Left Coast Crime Award nominations have been announced.
Art, Architecture & Archaeology
- Works of art saved by the "Monuments Men" have been auctioned at Sotheby's. (I'm looking forward to seeing the film.)
- Sandy works of art
- Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West is set for a major preservation effort.
- Johannes Vermeer's "Girl With a Pearl Earring" is creating a stir as it tours Italy.
- The mystery of hundreds of human skeletons found near a lake in India has been solved.
- Ancient plague's DNA has been revived from a 1,500-year-old tooth.
- Renovating an historic home in Mississippi.
A Dash of Science
- How vaccine fears have fueled the resurgence of preventable diseases.
- A creative approach to removing a ring from a swollen finger. (Where's my doctor's mask???)
A Dollop of Book Candy
- 18 bookstores every book lover must visit at least once. (I've visited two in this list.)
- Actress Diane Keaton takes a look at some artful home libraries.
I ♥ Lists & Quizzes
- The 11 most anticipated book adaptations of 2014.
- A bookish compatibility test courtesy of Book Riot.
- Teddy Roosevelt's ten rules for reading.
- A quiz on poetry classics.
- 10 tempestuous writerly romances
- The 10 worst couples in literature.
That's all for this week. Don't forget to stop by next weekend when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure!