I was such a tomboy when I was little that I didn't want to have anything to do with the color pink; I didn't care how many times my mother told me it was one of the best colors for me to wear. Ick. No way. No how. Get it away from me.
Once again, I was sitting outside to watch the birds and take a break from decorating. (No, I don't wear my Santa hat when I decorate.) The weather had turned quite cool the night before, and evidently one of the resident hummingbirds needed to bulk up her nest because the little vixen flew up and plucked one of my hairs from my head, zipped to hover in front of my face for a second as if to say "Thank you!" and then zoomed off. I have to admit that if one of my white hairs is helping warm a hummingbird at night, I consider that a hair well spent, don't you?
No, I haven't forgotten about those links. Here they are!
Bookish News & Other Interesting Stuff
I ♥ Lists
- The Maltese Falcon brings over $4 million at auction.
- An infographic on the burning question of the weekend: Who's more creative-- eReader or tablet users?
- Tim Jenison attempts to figure out how master painter Johannes Vermeer did it. (Vermeer's "Girl With a Pearl Earring" is one of my all-time favorites.)
- It took crime fiction great Ian Rankin 14 years for his writing to pay.
- An encyclopedia of nerds showed up on Indies First on Small Business Saturday.
- Send in the drones: Meet Amazon Air Prime.
- 2 million passwords have been dumped online.
- The oldest known human DNA reveals a mysterious branch of humanity.
- Bizarre microbes have been discovered in desert cave. (Every time we go to Bisbee, Denis threatens to drop me off there. Help!)
- If you're a bookaholic and traveling to New York City or Seattle, may I suggest the Library Hotel (NYC), and the Library Bistro and Bookstore Bar at the Alexis Hotel in Seattle?
- New, fully-illustrated edition of J.K. Rowling's novels will see artist Jim Kay reimagining the entire Potter universe.
- Tomorrow is Take Your Child to a Bookstore Day! (Saturday, December 7)
I ♥ Lists
- 6 ways to beat Reader's Block.
- Bookish sweatshirts for cold-weather reading.
- In Obama's book list are glimpses of his journey.
- 21 ways to tell you're in a relationship with your books.
That's all for this week. Don't forget to stop by next weekend when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure!