I worked retail for way too long to be tempted to join the shopping madness. Today, I'm going to get Denis off to work, put some Cajun dirty rice in the slow cooker, do a bit of ironing, take some photos, and then fix myself a big mug of Christmas tea and curl up with my copy of Diane Setterfield's Bellman & Black. I hope you all had the best Thanksgiving ever, and if you're out there shopping, stay safe!
Bookish News & Other Interesting Stuff
- The oldest known royal wine cellar has been uncorked in Israel.
- Beware of fake Facebook profiles and pages!
- A very thought-provoking edition of Would You Rather for us book nerds.
- You won't be seeing Coca Cola ads for a while, and the reason is amazing.
- Get ready to say Awwwwww repeatedly as you watch this toddler napping every day with his 2-month-old puppy.
- Changing Hands Bookstore has launched an Indiegogo campaign for its second store-- which will be very close to my house.
- Those archaeologists in Israel are busy. They've also found a 10,000-year-old house.
- A psalm book published in 1640 is purchased at auction for $14.2 million.
- 62% of the young adults in the UK prefer print to eBooks.
- Book Week Scotland 2013 has a fun quiz entitled Who in fiction are you? Evidently, I'm Mma Ramotswe of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency!
- For those of you-- like me-- who love international crime, Soho Press is having a killer weekend shopping event. Check it out!
I ♥ Lists
- 12 Thanksgiving recipes from authors.
- 7 famous lost literary works.
- 19 home remedies you won't believe actually work.
- F. Scott Fitzgerald's 1936 list of 22 essential books.
That's it for this week. I know it's rather skimpy compared to many other weeks, but I've had other things to do. Don't forget to stop by next week when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure!