While we've been waiting for our new solar panels and other electrical bits and bobs to be inspected by the City of Phoenix and the power company, I've taken a turn for the more domestic by going to Home Depot and buying plants to put into my pots that I like to have around the pool. I haven't had any all year due to scheduling logistics, and I've been in the mood for some blooms for a long time. Fortunately I live in a climate where there's always something blooming. (Keep that in mind if you're loaded with allergies and thinking of moving here.)
|I don't go to The Poisoned Pen just for author events!|
This week Denis and I went to The Poisoned Pen to see Spencer Quinn, author of the Chet and Bernie mystery series. What a fun night! And as you can see in the photo above, I wasn't just there for Mr. Quinn. It's impossible for me not to browse and buy while I'm at my favorite bookstore!
Bookish News & Other Interesting Stuff
- How to use Google to check your reputation online.
- Small independent bookstores are springing up in Russia's major cities.
- Overdrive's digital bookmobile is on hand for the National Book Festival.
- Goodreads modifies their user terms to prevent author bullying.
- Digital seems to be the new salvation for European newspapers.
- A bit about the recent Bouchercon in Albany, New York.
- The ring belonging to Jane Austen that Kelly Clarkson bought at auction must stay in the UK.
- Minnesotans cancel an author's scheduled book events after parents complain.
- What ever happened to book editors?
I ♥ Lists
- 20 brilliant authors whose work was initially rejected.
- The top ten literary works about ancestors.
- America's most surprising banned books.
- What is your state the worst at? The state in which I was born: robbery. The state in which I now live: alcoholism.
- 8 punctuation marks that are no longer used. (Makes me feel like using them just to be contrary.)
- 20 great American cities for writers (that aren't New York).
- Famous men reading famous poetry. (Benedict Cumberbatch alert!)
- The 11 most evil characters in books.
That's all for this week. Don't forget to stop by next weekend when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure. Have fun!