This time next week, Casa Kittling should have an array of solar panels on its roof. Denis and I are looking forward to this with a great deal of anticipation. I've been the recipient of some of Denis's research into solar power, and I think that many Americans are woefully misinformed about it because that's the way the power companies want them to be. If Denis and I can afford to do this, then many other Americans can, too. We're far from being monetarily rich. It's long been my opinion that-- with the amount of sunlight it receives-- Arizona should lead the world in solar power and technology. Do we? Not even close. Germany leads the world in solar technology. Germany, a country that receives far less sunshine than the entire United States (with the exception of Alaska).
Okay... where did this soapbox come from, and how did I get on top of it??? Someone give me a hand to get off this thing before I hurt myself....
When getting my book signed, I thanked Louise Penny for her Scene of the Crime interview here on Kittling: Books, and I brought up something that I'd wanted to say for a long time. What caught me by surprise was the lump in my throat and the tears springing to my eyes when I told her that her Acknowledgements were always an important part of her books for me "because you write about Michael [her husband] the way I feel about mine." Gracious lady that she is, Louise Penny did not bring attention to my sudden and unexpected discomposure, but focused on the heart of what I was trying to say. "We are both so very lucky, aren't we?" she said with a gentle smile. Yes, Louise, we are.
Bookish News & Other Interesting Tidbits
I ♥ Lists
- The answer to why wolves howl just may surprise you.
- Many readers will pre-order hardcover or paperback books without a second thought, but they tend to be extremely negative when it comes to pre-ordering eBooks.
- Pinki enjoys his job at the golf course.
- Amazon will start bundling eBooks with print books.
- The English King Richard III had more problems than bad PR and a crooked back.
- 41 Dr. Seuss titles are coming as eBooks.
- Author Sophie Hannah is set to write a new Hercule Poirot novel.
- Did great story telling have a hand in the survival of our species?
I ♥ Lists
- 11 authors who kept their day jobs.
- 15 revelations from the new J.D. Salinger biography.
- A video alphabet of authors' favorite words.
- 13 children's book quotes every adult should know.
- TV Guide Magazine's 60 greatest TV animals of all time.
- Can you imagine the patience and creativity it would take to create fore-edge book paintings? Take a look at a few!
- And my favorite link this week: built and used as a recording studio, this log-cabin-on-wheels looks like a neatly stacked pile of logs. With its windows, desk, bookshelves, and lounging facilities (that you can see in the small video at the end of the article), I think book lovers and writers would love to have one of their own for more literary pursuits. I know I certainly would!
That's it for this week. Don't forget to stop by next weekend when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure. Have fun!