Labor Day weekend is upon us. It usually signals the end of summer. Here in the Sonoran Desert it does hang on a bit longer, and I'm glad. I love summer. Human solar cell that I am, I just soak up the sun and read up a storm. One of these days we'll get the pool heated, and then I really will turn into a prune!
|Partial view of the crowd...|
Enjoy the weekend, everyone! I know I certainly will.
Bookish News & Other Interesting Links
I ♥ Lists
- Public libraries in the UK are getting facelifts. It's a political thing.
- A library book is returned 33 years late. It went on quite a journey.
- The British Library partners with NLB Singapore to digitize rare Malay manuscripts. I may not be able to read a word of them, but they're beautiful!
- What's wrong with a little healthy book discussion?
- Authors and readers band together to stop Goodreads "bullying." I'm still at the shallow end at Goodreads. As far as reviews go, I've always found the bullies and wackos to be at Amazon.
- It all depends on how you use it: a study has found that Facebook makes us sadder and less satisfied.
- The human brain has always fascinated me, and now scientists have found the schizophrenia switch.
- How a sea squirt could help you grow new limbs.
- Shades of Jurassic Park: How to bring extinct animals back to life.
- Denis and I always drool a bit when we watch Inspector Morse, and it's all about the car. Did you know that 1960 Mark 2 Jaguar had its own website?
- Big doin's lately in parts of Wyoming: Longmire came to town!
I ♥ Lists
- The top ten books about disability.
- F. Scott Fitzgerald's list of 22 essential books.
- 9 top cities for "detective" travel.
- A bookstore tour of England that begins in Cornwall.
- I may have seen most of them elsewhere on the net, but I never tire of looking at them, here labeled 10 inspiring bookshops around the world.
That's it for this week. I hope you stop by next weekend when there will be a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure!