|Snow geese coming in for a landing.|
When noon rolls around in the Sulphur Springs Valley, thousands of sandhill cranes stop feeding and return to places like Whitewater Draw to take an afternoon siesta, do a little grooming, and catch up on the latest gossip. If you've ever heard large numbers of sandhill cranes, you know that the racket they make is unforgettable (in a very good way). Each year we like to pay them a visit to say, "Welcome back, friends!"
Enough talk. Since there was no link round-up last weekend, I think they've built up a bit. Let me take a look to see what I've got for you....
Bookish News & Other Interesting Stuff
- Holy cow! The original Batmobile from the TV series sells for $4.2 million!
- A rare Robert Frost collection surfaces 50 years after his death.
- Experts find new evidence in Civil War submarine mystery.
- Jane Austen fans to celebrate 200 years of Pride and Prejudice.
- A secret painting in a Rembrandt masterpiece is coming into view.
- Have you noticed all the sites, books, and blogs celebrating images of books? Someone else has also noticed the curious rise of bibliographics.
- Libraries: good value, lousy marketing.
- Beijing is opening a 24-hour bookstore.
- How a bookstore changed Eowyn Ivey's world.
- Why Amazon can't win when it comes to book reviews.
- Want to collect books? Book Collecting 101
- A trove of Kennedy items has been found at an aide's home.
- The identity of a famous 19th-century brain has been discovered.
- When customers need comfort books.
- Book cafés are evolving into cultural spots.
- Laura Miller wants shushing librarians to be brought back.
- When newspapers were new-- or how Londoners got word of the plague.
- What your desk says about you. (No, there's no option for a desk that looks as though a wastebasket has been emptied on it, thank heavens!)
- Why finding whale vomit on the beach is a good thing.
- Love message scratched on a window pane is deciphered after 100 years.
- There are times when a cover can ruin a book.
- Books on prescription to be introduced in the UK.
Books in the Digital Lane
- When it comes to eBooks, libraries are more important than ever for discovery.
- An infographic on who reads eBooks.
- Worldreader receives a donation from Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos.
- It's not available for the market yet, but I had to smile when I saw this concept eReader screen.
I ♥ Lists & Quizzes
- 10 curious facts about your favorite childhood authors.
- Adorable letters from famous authors to their children.
- 7 books that would make great TV shows.
- Here's a quiz on American presidents in literature.
- 50 essential science fiction books.
- 10 literary board games for book nerds.
- 16 fancy gifts for book nerds.
- 10 novels that are scarier than most horror movies.
- 15 movies starring bookstores.
- The 10 most notorious parts of famous books.
- 10 gadgets to organize and power your tech.
- 15 colorful entries from Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary of Unusual, Obscure, and Preposterous Words.
- Top 10 fictional female friends we'd like to have.
- The lumberjack bookcase.
- The best uses of the IKEA Expedit bookcase.
- The melting bookcase.
- Bookcase styling ideas.
- Book barns in the northeastern US.
- The elegant bookshelf sofa.
- Want a zipper bookcase?
Well, that's two weeks' worth of links, so you should have plenty to investigate this weekend. Don't forget to stop by next weekend when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure!