Scattered buckshot? What's she on about now? Well, my brain's been a bit unfocused this week, and it reminded me of a comment a college professor once wrote on one of my papers: "This is a scattered blast of buckshot when what you need here is a well-aimed rifle shot." So it's a good thing that the link round-up naturally hops around a lot, isn't it?
For the past several months, Denis has had a shift that only gave him one entire day off each week, and that really put a crimp in our out-and-about plans. Now he'll have three days off each week, and we're already planning all the day trips we're going to be taking. Time to blow the dust off the camera!
Since my brain is so scattered, I'd better not mess around or I'll forget what I'm supposed to be posting. On to those links!
Bookish News & Other Interesting Stuff
- A few weeks ago I posted a link to an article about a lost Renoir that was found at a flea market. There have been further developments... seems the painting might have been stolen!
- One of my favorite movies way back in 1967 was "Bonnie and Clyde." The infamous duo's guns recently went up for auction.
- I found points on which to both agree and disagree in this article: How Pinterest Is Killing Feminism.
- You gotta love it when someone on television tells people to "read a f**king book."
- J.K. Rowling is selling her house in Edinburgh. Want to see pictures?
- The publishing industry has a few things to learn from the music industry.
- The nightmare that Patricia Cornwell has been going through is even stranger than her fiction.
- I wish Arizona would follow Kentucky's lead and have a license plate that encourages drivers to support their libraries.
- If you'd like to learn more about where I live, Scottsdale has a gorgeous Desert Discovery Guide.
- Reader recommendations are a growing business.
- A fisherman in Texas reels in a possible mastodon tooth.
- Several ducks were rescued from a hoarder and rehabilitated. Watch this video of the first time they were introduced to water.
- Just how much research will authors do for their books? Meet Jen Westerson!
- Did you just pay too much for that eBook?
- Kindle serials bring back the anticipation of reading.
- The importance of eBook cover art.
- Your brain on eBooks and Smartphone apps.
- A recent glitch with the eBook edition of J.K. Rowling's The Casual Vacancy better make all publishers sit up and pay attention.
- An interesting graphic that reveals the Business of eBooks.
I ♥ Lists
- The 10 most mentioned songs in books.
- Some of your favorite authors may be frauds: 6 famous ghostwriters.
- Top 10 apocalypse books.
- 10 literary authors who illustrated their own books.
- Writers' favorite punctuation marks.
- This bookshelf wrapping paper is gorgeous, and if you scroll down the page you'll see that there are other eyecatching designs.
- Many of us prefer a cup of tea or coffee while we read, and I've found a perfect ring for us.
That's it for this week. Don't forget to stop by next week when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure and (hopefully) sharp, focused little grey cells!