It's been a quiet week here at Casa Kittling, and sometimes that's just what the doctor ordered. Denis and I are getting excited about our trip to the UK next spring, I'm mentally packing the new luggage and wondering if I dare travel with just my Nook, and at the rate the pool water is cooling down, I'll soon be setting up reading shop in a poolside chair instead of in the pool. I've read some wonderful books in that pool this summer. Perhaps I can squeak in one or two more without having icicles hanging off my ears....
On a more personal note, I'm renewing acquaintance with a very dear friend. I won't go into how and why we grew apart. She knows, and I know, and that's enough of that. Suffice it to say that I wasn't happy with the status quo and decided to give it one more try. Words cannot express how I feel about having her back in my life again. It's almost as though I've had a limb reattached. As we all know-- life's just too damned short. If something similar has happened to you and you're missing a dear, dear friend, try making a connection one more time. It doesn't matter one little bit what happened or who was at fault. What matters is the hole that's in your heart. Make the connection. It's worth it.
Links? Oh yeah. I've got a few of those around here somewhere. Let me take a look....
Bookish News & Other Interesting Stuff
- The Delights of the Montague Bookmill.
- Want to know why your library doesn't carry a lot of eBooks? Read What's a Library Dollar Worth?
- Why can't this happen to you and me? A possible Renoir surfaces at a Virginia flea market.
- What does your bookshelf say about you?
- Fifty Shades of Grey is the book that Britons are most likely to leave behind in their hotel room. (The other titles in contention are interesting, too.)
- Squatters reopen a library in north London after the council closes service.
- Nothing like doing a little do-it-yourself home renovation and discovering an ancient Mayan mural in your kitchen.
- On a canine note, have you met Zeus, the world's tallest dog? Or have you heard about Ginger, the golden retriever that turned a stroll on the beach into a drug bust?
- HomeGoods has one of those little style quizzes where you choose the five photos you like best and their guru tells you your style. Evidently I am "Spa Life." (HomeGoods, that doesn't mean I'm redoing my house any time soon!)
- If you've got an extra £4,000,000 lying around, you can buy yourself a Cornish harbor at Charlestown. (I've always wanted to visit Cornwall....)
- I love bookmarks, and I love these Be Right Back bookmarkers. Click on the tiny photo above the price, and you can see the others that are available.
- A massive river of 10,000 discarded books rages through Melbourne, Australia.
- Check out Share Your (Book)Shelf at Tumblr-- and share your own!
eBooks & eReaders
- Will the new Nook tablet run Windows 8?
- For $15 Amazon will allow you to opt out of all the ads on the Kindle Fire HD special offers version.
- The new Amazon Kindle Fire tablets will be available in the UK starting October 25.
- Overall eBook growth slows down, but children's digital books show record sales.
- If you've got a Kindle Fire HD tablet and you also listen to audio books through Audible.com, Amazon has a new feature that will sync the eBook and the audio book as you read. The downside? You've got to buy the Kindle and the Audible versions of the same book.
Social Media Tip
- How to stop Facebook from tracking you. (You know... I don't go anywhere super exciting on the internet, but why does every website seem to think it has the right to follow me? And that just reminded me of the photos that were taken and published of the Duchess of Cambridge. Don't get me started!)
I ♥ Lists
- 10 great books that should be movies
- 20 famous authors' school photos
- 10 bookstores repurposed from unused structures
- 30 authors inspired by cats
- The politically incorrect etymologies of 11 words and phrases
- I could sit and watch 'em all day, so why not... Top 10 Literary Otters?
- The Top 7 Femme Fatales
New to My Google Reader
That's it for this week. Don't forget to stop by next weekend when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure!