If there's one thing I've learned this week, it's this: this hermit can't be a social butterfly, keep up with her email, and blog all at the same time. Since I'm once again ensconced in my hermitage (otherwise known as Casa Kittling) for the next few days, I find myself playing catch-up.
Denis and I greatly enjoyed J.A. Jance's book signing at the Poisoned Pen this week. I swear I'll have a write-up this weekend-- 'onest!
We also had a blast meeting two good friends for lunch. 82-year-old Edna is a lady anyone should be thrilled to call friend. We bonded many years ago while waiting outside the Target where we worked. I shared what happened when I tripped and fell over the speed bump in the parking lot the day before, and she told me about sneezing out her glass eye one morning a few weeks before that. Nothing bonds two people together like laughter! Robin is in between chemo treatments, and if any of you have thought my attitude when I was diagnosed with cancer was exemplary, Robin's attitude with what she's facing would absolutely blow you out of the water.
Unfortunately we had a screaming child seated behind us, which caused Edna's hearing aids to go haywire. Our only defense was to talk and laugh often and loud to drown out the armor plate-piercing screeching. We refused to let anything so inconsiderate dull our enthusiasm during our time together. (Life's just too darned short to get up and slap a deaf parent, you know?)
On another note, have any of you noticed my new social media thingmajig on my sidebar underneath the caption Someone Needs to Keep an Eye on Me? I've seen some really nice ones on other blogs but didn't have the time or the inclination to figure out how to make one of my own. Hover your mouse over the "Follow Me" and a drop-down menu appears with all sorts of places that I frequent. I really like it; the only complaint I've made is that I think it needs to be a tad bigger so it will be more noticeable and have a bit more oomph. What do you think? If you're interested in getting one for yourself, it's free at Social Follow.
Shut up, Cathy, and share the links!
Bookish News & Other Interesting Stuff
- A very interesting article about how people in the UK use social media and electronic gizmos. (One in ten adults have an eReader for example.)
- People with eReaders are becoming more diverse when choosing the formats they buy.
- One of my favorite books, Jack Finney's Time and Again, just might be turned into a movie.
- How to save an indie bookstore: Day One and Day Two.
- One of Arizona's own more "colorful" indie bookstore owners.
- Ever thought about matching your bathing suit to your book cover?
- I keep telling myself I'm going to try this: book spine poetry.
- J.K. Rowling's constructing two treehouses in Edinburgh. (I wonder if anyone will have the same thought about them that I did?)
- Halve Bookends made of two split halves of a glass jar and fillable with anything you like.
- I've seen the original at Monticello, but someone's copied Jefferson's revolving bookcase.
I ♥ Lists
- 11 thrilling books for people who don't read thrillers.
- The most expensive fictional homes.
- 25 libraries we love most on Pinterest.
- 10 telling photos of literacy around the world.
- The 10 best closing lines of books.
- How to eat like your favorite authors.
- 7 surprising words that came from Hindi.
- The Top Ten Most Difficult Books
- Books you need to read before the movies come out
- 10 memorable set of fictional sisters
- 5 great travel memoirs
- 35 modern words recently added to the dictionary
New to My Google Reader
That's it for this week. Don't forget to stop by next weekend when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure!