Another action-packed week here at Casa Kittling with not one day of rain but TWO! Yahoooo! (Okay, so I get excited over little things....)
I had an appointment with a dermatologist at the beginning of the week. I had the general idea of where the place was, but once I'd found a spot in the parking garage, things started going pear-shaped. It was hotter than the hind hinges of hell, and there was no signage at all in the parking garage. I found the stairwell and went up and down the thing a few times before I gave up in disgust. I found my way outside and walked all the way around the building until I found the main entrance. There were five floors, and the office number was 514, so I deduced that it was on the fifth floor. (I don't read all these mysteries for nothin', ya know.) But once I got on the fifth floor, I still almost had to call for Search and Rescue before I found the right door. Most of that trekking was outdoors, and once I got indoors, I discovered that someone was trying to save on the air conditioning bill because by the time I walked into the office, it looked as though I'd just stepped out of the shower. Monsoon season is definitely not the time of year to go exploring at high noon! I won't even go into coming out and trying to find my car.... All's well that ends well, however. The medicine the doc gave me is working wonders, and I'll be back to my beautiful self very soon.
I spent most of the day today at the Arizona Biltmore soaking up the annual Poisoned Pen Conference where I got to meet some of my favorite authors. Denis played chauffeur and dropped me off. I'd just gotten indoors when the downpour began. He had to drive home in it, but I didn't get a drop on me. (Good thing, too, or I would've melted....) Once again, I got to touch base with two of my favorite book bloggers, Lesa and Gaye, which is always a good thing. My account of the day will be posted in the next couple of days, so stay tuned for that.
But now I'm going to round up this week's links!
Bookish News & Other Interesting Stuff
- Something I believe in passionately: Canadian Living talks about how to hook children on reading. Summer's the perfect time to do it!
- Have you seen the Uni, New York City's portable reading room?
- Michael Connelly is developing a TV crime drama based on his Harry Bosch mysteries. Yes!
- Sometimes I'm just not aware of the drama: there's now a website aimed at naming and shaming so-called GoodReads bullies. Unfortunately it looks as though they've turned into bullies themselves.
- Having worked for Target for over 26 years, I'm interested in seeing how this turns out: Target and Neiman Marcus (referred to as "Needless Markup" by some wits) are joining forces to market a 2012 holiday collection.
- I used to think that Wal-Mart was trying to rule the world. I've changed my mind. I now think it's Amazon. Amazon is now pushing for same-day delivery, and if you don't think that will have repercussions, think again.
- The local Bookmans in Mesa was the site of a wedding recently, and there's video to prove it.
- Jane Austen is in the news again. First Austen's ring sells at auction, and then came an article about how to nurture your Jane Austen obsession. (Duh... buy me that ring!)
I ♥ Lists & Quizzes
- 10 things you should know about summer reading
- A quiz about queens in fiction
- The Guardian talks about authors' favorite bookshops
- 25 dogs that love reading
- 10 great off-kilter love stories in literature
- Five trips for crime fiction lovers
- On a common sense note, 8 things not to keep in your wallet.
- On a sad note, famous authors who were forced into retirement too soon.
- eBooks should not be restricted by European borders.
- The first of L.L. (Lorraine) Bartlett's Jeff Resnick mysteries, Murder on the Mind, is FREE on Kindle.
- Irish bookseller, Eason, plans to launch an eReader this year.
- Kobo's big in Japan and is now heading to Italy.
- How I Got a Kindle eBook Autographed by the Author.
- 25 Awesome DIY Ideas for Bookshelves
- Karl Lagerfeld teams with Wallpaper and develops a scent called Paper Passion, the scent of freshly printed books.
- Once you see the name of this bookcase, you'll think it was designed by a Harry Potter fan!
- Bookshelf Porn is almost always a feast for the book-obsessed eye. Here are examples: One, Two, Three, Four, Five.
New to My Google Reader
Whew! That's it for this week. Don't forget to stop by next weekend when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure! Now... if it's not raining, I'm heading out for a late night swim.... *splash*