It's not been the kind of week to write home about. A good friend has undergone surgery for lung cancer. Another has just been told that she's no longer in remission, and that she has to start chemo all over again. The weather has also been good at fraying the tempers of even the most cheerful and mild-mannered of humans. (Daily temperatures of well over 110°F./ 43°C.)
Little wonder that I've found myself escaping to my shady end of the pool down by the waterfall... and into a series of good books. The sound of the water and the words on the page work wonders on focusing my mind on the positive.
Of course, if I'm spending a lot of time in the pool, that means that I'm not tracking down links. Ah well. We should all have such paltry things to grump about!
Let's get on to those links, shall we? Here's hoping that you and your loved ones are all safe and in the best of health... and that you all have a glorious weekend. Enjoy summer to the utmost!
Bookish News & Other Interesting Stuff
- The French like being different-- they still flock to bookstores, and it's interesting to find out why the book biz is blooming in France.
- How about some West Coast destinations for book lovers?
- If ever I'm in Lyme Regis, I think I'll stay in the bed and breakfast that's above a secondhand bookshop!
Social Media & Blogging Tips
- Just who's using what social network? See it broken down by demographic.
- The 3 Facebook permissions you should never agree to.
- Sheila of Book Journey has some excellent advice on how to build a better blog.
- Take a look at some photographs of The Book Barge, a narrow boat that plies some of the canals of England.
- Here are some mouth-watering reading corners. Which are your favorites?
New to My Google Reader
That's it for this week. Stop by next weekend when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure!