Posts were few on the ground this past week, and there's a good reason for it. Denis and I had our first house guest in 'way too long, and I focused on what was the most important. (Sorry, blog. You're important, but you're not #1!) Mike's even better than a blood brother because I got to choose him, so any time he can come down for a visit is a cause for celebration. The icing on the cake is that Denis loves having him here, too, so in effect I have both my favorite guys within hugging range.
|Mike and Denis enjoying spring training|
|Me and my Peter Graves hair|
Those days flew by, and now I'm back to reality... and some links! I hope I've rounded up some good ones that you'll enjoy checking out over the beverage of your choice. Let's get started!
Bookish News & Other Interesting Stuff
- Toola, an otter pioneer who raised orphan pups, has died.
- Take a look at this video: the story of Jordan, a boy who was taught to read, thanks to a dog named Drew.
- Join the fight to save Undershaw from the developers. What's so important about Undershaw? It's the house in which Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote many of his Sherlock Holmes stories.
- A Booklover's Map of America showing landmarks of literary geography from 1933.
- The detail in these is incredible: Insane art formed by carving books with surgical tools.
- I first became acquainted with Lizzie Borden as a child jumping rope in grade school. Her murder case has gotten a whole new look.
- A very unsettling article, but one that should be read: Let's watch a girl get beaten to death.
- What someone thought the "book reader of the future" would look like from his 1935 perspective.
- I love art, and when I found this article showing the palettes of famous artists, I found it fascinating. Then I found more information in Why Preserve Van Gogh's Palette?
I ♥ Lists
- Oprah says these are 9 things you should never say in a book club.
- 10 of the most powerful female characters in literature.
- 10 more of the most powerful women in literature.
- Top 10 female science fiction characters.
- The top 25 baseball books for your desert island.
- The 10 best movies adapted from memoirs.
- 10 evocative writers of place.
- Top 10 weird histories. (Just the kind of history I like!)
- Top 10 villains.
- 10 big authors' houses for sale.
- The 10 best fictional bookstores in pop culture.
- The fake books of Charles Dickens.
- The experts are now saying that tablets are changing our reading habits... and not for the better.
- A review of the Solar Focus Powered Cover for the Kindle 4.
- Looks like the Google ICS tablet will debut in May.
- I love these window boxes!
- A pair of falling bookends.
- The Guardian, a UK newspaper, is collecting photos of bookshelves.
- The Library Collection, a line of candles with scents named after literary greats.
- Bookity's handmade recycled book paper decorations and jewelry.
- Take a look at this fabulous Harry Potter cake!
New to My Google Reader
That's it for this week! Don't forget to stop by next weekend when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure!