I went to one of my favorite places today: a Jo-Ann Fabric and Crafts store. I went in there because I knew they had yarn on sale, but I walked out with not only a few skeins of yarn, but several buttons and a rack to organize all my spools of ribbon.
|My ribbons are organized!|
I use a lot of the narrow gauge ribbon as hangers for the Christmas ornaments I make. The three big spools you can see at the very bottom of the rack belonged to my grandmother. They date from the 1940s and have come in very useful in my ornament making. When I mentioned using 30-year-old yarn and 70-year-old ribbon to make ornaments, a friend quipped, "You're making new antiques!"
Other than that, it's been a nice, quiet week here. Nothing much happening but stitching, cooking and reading. And now for some links!
Bookish News & Other Interesting Stuff
- A Russian billionaire buys a New York City apartment...for $88 million. The seller says the money will be donated to charity. (Where do I sign up?)
- Private libraries are disappearing in India.
- Have you ever dreamed of finding hidden treasure? These men did in France.
- 5 reasons why we need librarians and information professionals in the internet age.
- Bookish wedding planning.
- I loved reading about some of Betty Webb's research for her book, Desert Wind.
- The iPad holds more value than the Kindle.
- Jacinda of The Reading Housewives of Indiana talks a bit about her reading dislikes and asks about ours.
I ♥ Lists & Quizzes
- Books that will change the way you think about love.
- The Huffington Post's favorite bookish love scenes from films.
- A quiz on love in literature.
- The 10 greatest kisses in literature.
- The 10 greatest Shakespeare film adaptations.
- Top ten literary frenemies.
- When it comes to books, all you need is love.
- Photos of quilts that were inspired by books. If you click on the numbered links below the photo montage, you'll be able to see them all in larger sizes. They're amazing!
- Wow... take a look at Wade Davis's writing studio! (Click on the photos to view them larger.)
- I love this necklace that uses an L.M. Montgomery quote!
- Bookshelves made from reclaimed pipe.
New to My Google Reader
- Peaceful Reader
- The Literary Omnivore
- Tales from the Reading Room
- Sasha & The Silverfish
- Naked Without Books
- Booksie's Blog
That's it for this week. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! Don't forget to stop by next weekend when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure!