There are a few wits who maintain that Phoenix has two climates: Heaven and Hell. If the summer is Hell, then this, surely, is Heaven. Blue skies, bags of sunshine, balmy temperatures. If the climate was like this all year round, Phoenix would be one of the most densely populated areas on earth. (Which makes me extremely grateful that we have those months of Hell.)
Next week Denis and I will be going to our storage unit to bring home all the Christmas decorations we have. I've been sitting out by the pool writing pages of notes... room-by-room reminders of how I want to decorate each location. I'm excited, too, because I have new real estate to put in the holiday spirit. With the purge of my library, I now have the tops of the bookcases on which to display goodies-- and I've even made notes for next year.
|Homemade pumpkin coconut bread... YUM!|
I've started making quick bread from scratch-- like the pumpkin coconut bread to the right-- and filling the house with the most wonderful smells. It's as though something inside me wants to make this Christmas season extra special just because I'm here. I survived. And I appreciate what I have.
Anyway... enough talk about a season no one but me wants to hear about, and on to those links!
Bookish News & Other Fun Stuff
- The future of reading: iPad, Kindle... and Hardback.
- Chester Nez, the last of the original Navajo Code Talkers.
- Someone made this button for me. I know they did!
- When a man must bid goodbye to his books.
- Blaming an author's library campaign for social service cuts. (Gotta love politicians, regardless of country!)
- Here's a recipe for coconut cake from Emily Dickinson, passionate poet and passionate baker.
- Good for them! 285 Indian girls get rid of their "unwanted" names.
- Little free libraries are cropping up all over-- now in St. Paul, Minnesota.
I ♥ Lists
- Q&A a day-- I stink at keeping diaries or journals, but I'm willing to give this one a go. It's a five-year diary in which I answer one question per day. Over the course of five years, I think it will be really interesting to track my answers!
- How about this little mini button as a stocking stuffer-- or for yourself?
- Am I the only one who worries about humidity with these bathroom bookshelves?
- Stunning home libraries from Architectural Digest.
- Bookcases can make a room. (That's not news to us, is it?)
- More beautiful bookcases.
- Read-Nest <--- I want one of these!!
New to My Google Reader
My mind is still thinking of places I'd like to have one of those Read-Nests, so I'm going to go now-- hoping that one or two of my links have brightened your day.
Don't forget to stop by next weekend when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure!