It's been a fun week here at Casa Kittling. Tuesday, Denis and I jumped in the Jeep and drove up to Black Canyon Lake in the White Mountains. Yes, it's definitely a great way to beat the desert heat, but this is a trip we try to take at this time every year.
It's after Labor Day, so we generally have the place to ourselves, and you can feel the fingers of autumn ruffling the hair at the back of your neck. Seasons can change quickly at an elevation of 7,000 feet.
|Summer's end at Black Canyon Lake|
This week has also been very special for other reasons. Voting in the various categories for Book Blogger Appreciation Week ends tomorrow, September 10. I hope everyone has taken the time to vote for their favorites.
I am now a member of the Mystery Genre panel for the Independent Literary Awards. Wow, what an honor to be asked! Give me some reading to do: vote for your favorites now through December 31, 2011. Here's where you can find the nomination forms!
Time to get to those links!
Bookish News & Other Fun Stuff
- Bookstores are signing on for an Internet read-out of banned books.
- A library-themed wedding.
- Sinkhole drunks leave librarian feeling down.
- Not everyone believes dictionaries should keep up with online terminology.
- Local bookstores buck downward trend as big chains falter.
- It can be done: Lauren Hillenbrand's Unbroken sells one million hardcovers.
- Why browsing is so important in discovering content.
Lists, Lists, Lists...
- 24 new books to look forward to this fall.
- The 20 Most Iconic Book Covers Ever.
- 15 great novels set in real-life colleges.
- 30 literary break-up quotes.
- The Literary Baby Name Dictionary.
Social Media & Blogging Tips
- 4 steps to naming your blog.
- Do visitors find it easy to share your blog?
- Facebook security flaw lets users hijack pages from original owners.
- Kobo sues to keep its e-reader away from the Borders buyer.
- iPad, Android and its Darwinian apps strategy.
- The 10 coolest book apps for fall.
- Backlist eBooks.
Around the Water Cooler in the Book Blogosphere
- Thoughts on Early Reviewing by Pam at Bookalicious.
Loads of Lovely Bookish Furniture
- Face shelving
- 9 diverse and practical shelving units
- Opus shelving
- 17 cool and unconventional shelving ideas
- Rolling bookshelves
- Bookcase stairs
- Found at Inspire Bohemia: Home Offices and Craft Rooms, Part One and Part Two
- Also at Inspire Bohemia: the Window Seat
New to My Google Reader
I hope you've found a site or two that piqued your interest. Don't forget to stop by next weekend when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure. Enjoy your weekend!