Another quiet week here at Casa Kittling, but there's nothing wrong with quiet. An eye exam, a wonderful lunch out with my favorite guy, sitting outside tonight with a full moon so bright that it made all the white flowers in the back garden glow. Reading in the pool and crying my eyes out at the sad part. Quiet is good.
Before I get to the links, I'd like to thank one of my readers-- Leslie of Under My Apple Tree-- for spending heaven only knows how much time trying (and succeeding!!!) to identify the bird in this week's Wordless Wednesday post. I now know that the pretty little guy is a male juvenile Western Tanager. Since it always showed up at the cottage outside Bisbee in the company of Hooded Orioles, I was sure it was some kind of oriole, too. Goes to show where that thinking got me, eh? Anyway, a huge thank you to Leslie!
Now let's get to those links!
- The Best 100 Closing Lines from Books. (My entry for the book with the best opening and closing line? Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities. Thought I'd throw that in there....)
- 10 real-life places that inspired literary classics.
- 10 famous fictional characters you didn't know were based on real people.
- Top 10 space books for children.
Bookish News & Other Fun Stuff
- Has Jack the Ripper finally been identified?
- For lovers of Colin Dexter's Inspector Morse, there will be a prequel titled "Endeavour" that will air here in the U.S. in 2012 on PBS.
- The publishing industry has expanded in the past three years-- good news for all bookaholics.
- Edgar Allan Poe's house... nevermore?
- To celebrate his 80th anniversary: 80 years of Babar the Elephant, and Down memory lane with Babar the Elephant.
- Alan Jacobs believes We Can't Teach Students to Love Reading.
Social Media & Blogging Tips
Around the Water Cooler in the Book Blogosphere
- From Emily's Reading Room-- Blogger Confidential: Bad Blogging Behavior.
- Absolutely hilarious: Donna Moore's Defining Genres by Bedroom Scene and other nonsense.
New to My Google Reader
That's it for this week. Be sure to stop by next weekend when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure!