Another quiet week here at Casa Kittling. For one thing, it was a bit too warm to be getting into any shenanigans. (116°F/47°C) Throw in a couple of doctor's appointments, a run to the grocery store for needed ingredients, and all I wanted to do was spend the afternoon in the shady end of the pool with a succession of good books and cold drinks.
In the evenings while Denis is at work, I've been watching DVDs and Netflix instant streaming while I needlepoint. The first two weeks, I conducted my own Richard Chamberlain Film Festival ( "The Thornbirds" and "Shogun"), and now I'm watching the original "Star Trek" television series. I've also started making Christmas stocking shelf sitters while watching television, hence the "ho, ho, ho." Something tells me that a few of the gaps (yes, I have those) on my bookshelves will have Christmas stockings on them.
Enough about my yawn of a week, and let's get on to the links!
Bookish News & Other Fun Stuff
- Independent bookstores finding new ways to make it in the current economy.
- Hollywood doesn't always play fair in finding its ideas for new movies.
- An article and a report about those Amazon reviewers.
- Another article about online reviews.
- These two ladies are old enough to know better... or at least keep an eye out for the paparazzi.
- An endangered words list... followed by a new word list. Those dictionary folks are keeping busy!
- Reading fiction makes you a better person. (Remember this if anyone gives you grief about what you read!)
- The local paper in Flagstaff, Arizona, interviewed a bookstore employee who had some interesting things to say.
- A culinary bookstore is opening in the Seattle area.
- Africa's crime fiction writers are making a name for themselves.
- An internet pioneer wants a copy of every book ever published. (Can I go visit?)
A Few Bookish Lists
- America's most literary street.
- 20 celebrities with stunning home libraries. (Some I'd seen before, but some are new.)
- 10 movies for book lovers.
- Celebrity English Majors.
- 40 publishing buzzwords, cliches abd euphemisms decoded.
Bookish Furniture & Fashion
- Take a look at a chandelier made from vintage books.
- Shoes with bookish designs.
- I wouldn't mind having a bolt of this fabric.
- A new "Look Inside" feature is available for Kindle eBooks.
- How to identify spam books in the Kindle store.
- The iPad is twice as popular as the Kindle.
- Do eBooks really need to be enhanced?
New to My Google Reader
There you have it-- this week's links. Don't forget to stop by next weekend when I'll share a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure!