Don't ask me what I think about people who either (1) think it's perfectly all right to let their cats roam all over the neighborhood or (2) lost their homes and just turned their cats loose to fend for themselves. I have both domestic and feral feline problems in my backyard, and since I'm not a cat person to begin with, I'm not a happy camper. Our backyard is a certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat, which means we provide all the essentials to keep wild critters happy. We do not provide water, food and shelter in order to keep our backyard well-stocked as a smorgasbord for all the blasted cats!
Enough! I feel my blood pressure spiking.
In this climate, one of the best draws is to have fresh, moving water available. The prime way to provide that fresh, moving water is by solar water fountains. Well... I had to order a new one because the .................. cats broke one. The new solar fountain should be delivered tomorrow, and I look forward to sitting close to it with my cool drink, my camera, my book... and my slingshot.
On to the links!
Bookish News & Other Fun Stuff
- Take a look at what happened when the Guardian asked for help in building 24 hours of fictional time using lines from literature.
- RIP to our favorite secondary characters in literature.
- 5 myths about the Information Age.
- Shopping, anyone? The Literary Gift Company.
- I think I'll get my spade out of the shed-- buried treasure in an Austrian backyard.
- Farmville kills off soap operas. (Shhhh... I don't think that's the only thing it's killing off.)
- Books are better in bed.
- How books were made.
- The Titanic's unknown child is given a new, final identity.
- Famous retold stories in literature.
- This is fun reading: Timeline of Science Fiction Ideas, Technology and Inventions (sorted by Publication Date).
- Forgetful? Blame your good mood.
- The art of bookplates in pictures.
- Some parents are up in arms about an English teacher who writes racy novels on the side.
- Want to have fun shopping and donate to youth literacy at the same time? Check out Real Men Read Women.
- The best books for the armchair traveler.
A Bit of Bookish Architecture
- The Kindle Reader
- Tales of Reading in Reintroducing a Color Device.
- Swap, Borrow or Lend Kindle and Nook eBooks for Free.
- Pepsi introduces the "Social Vending Machine".
New to My Google Reader
- More Than a Reading Journal
- Purplume's blog
- The Introverted Reader
- What Kate's Reading
- Books, Thoughts and a Few Adventures...
As always, I hope that you found a link or two that piqued your interest. Stop by next weekend when I'll have a freshly selected batch of links for your surfing pleasure... and no rants about cats!